New to the forum and back to the hobby!

Hello All!

I am new to this forum and I made a come back to this hobby. I previously had a 55G Reef tank with mostly soft and LPS corals (pics here). I had to sold everything I had to be able to move to the mainland (I am originally from Puerto Rico, anyone from the island??). My tank was beautiful and I have great memories. So, I decided to start again! The journey has been kind of complicated and expensive since I do now own a house, so I rent an apartment and my space is very very limited. 

I recently bought an IM 40 Fushion, that I equipped with a Tunze 9004 skimmer, filter sock (one chamber), and activated carbon. It's been cycling for few weeks, used water and rock from an established tank, also added Fritz Zyme 900 Turbo start to speed up the process. The sand I used was not "live", this is black sand (I kind of regret it), but it is too late now. In terms of the lights, I have one Al Prime HD LED, but I still have to learn how to control it.

I then added (small fish) 2 ocellaris, 3 anthias (1 male and two females, which are not eating, but this is a separate topic) and a few small turbo snails. Water parameters so far, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, less than 1.00 of Nitrates. I did have an ammonia spike when I introduced the fish, but it was very minimal and not detected by the Seachem Ammonia Alert. It was detected in the total amonia test (API). I am doing water changes every week (RODI), and hope to change the frequency to every two weeks.

So I hope to share my successes and failures with you all. Also, please note that I am also here to learn and learn and learn, so I will be asking lots of questions. I guess I forgot almost everything I knew 7 years ago...

Thank you!

Edited by A.ocellaris

Welcome to the group, I am from PR too (Vega Baja)....

You can always change your sand if you dont like it your current one. Basically you would just syphon it out on your water changes and since you have a 30 gallon, you can probably do it in two water changes.Try the Tropic Eden ones (premium aquatics sell them), they rinse very well and your water wont turn very cloudy. I suggest the mesoflakes (2.7mm). As for fish, 3 anthias in that tank is pushing it but I dont have many experience with them.

Hey Neto!

Great! I am from Morovis! so very close! 

Yes, I figured out that having three of them was too much for a 40-30G. I honestly wanted the super male, but I was told that if I didn't get all of them he would lose his colors. He can be very pushing with the females.

Welcome to WAMAS. I hope that you enjoy the community. It's pretty active. We have a meeting coming up on Saturday. Look for the announcement. It'll be at North Bethesda Middle School (on the north side of the Beltway) and starts at 1 PM. Come on out and meet a few of your fellow reefers.

In a couple of days, the hunger will kick in. My trio love Mysis Shrimp and Bloodworms. Just be careful with your bioload as you can turn your cycle into an algae fest attempting to get that trio to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk