Do you use Carbon?

tygger

Does anyone use carbon? I have a 72g tank with a 29g sump, how much should I use (1 cup, 2 cups, ???) and how long should I keep it in the sump?

Thx

I use carbon from time to time. It is loaded in my fluval 404 canister filter. You can usually only leave carbon (with full tiem use) in the running system for ~30 days after which is has usually absorbed as much as it can. Some carbon claims to last longer but I would stick with the 30 day mark.

I run mine on an as needed basis and them only a few days at a time.

As for quantity, I tend to use 1- 2 cups at a time and then either SeaChem MatrixCarbon or SeaGel depending on my needs.

I use carbon for about 2 or 3 weeks then I replace it as part of my water change routine. It will be fine for 30 days but it's easier for me to keep track of it if I change it every time I do a water change.

I put it in a hang on filter bag that I attach to the pvc pipe that drains water from my skimmer back to my sump.

I use carbon from time to time. It is loaded in my fluval 404 canister filter. You can usually only leave carbon (with full tiem use) in the running system for ~30 days after which is has usually absorbed as much as it can. Some carbon claims to last longer but I would stick with the 30 day mark.

I run mine on an as needed basis and them only a few days at a time.

As for quantity, I tend to use 1- 2 cups at a time and then either SeaChem MatrixCarbon or SeaGel depending on my needs.

Only a few days at a time? So if its good for about 30 days, you would run it for... say 5 days, take it out and use it for another 5 day period a month or so later? Would the carbon still be good like this?

I use carbon for about 2 or 3 weeks then I replace it as part of my water change routine. It will be fine for 30 days but it's easier for me to keep track of it if I change it every time I do a water change.

I put it in a hang on filter bag that I attach to the pvc pipe that drains water from my skimmer back to my sump.

I just put mine in a filter sock and stick it in the sump area where the skimmer is. Hopefully that works ok.

Anyone want to go in on a bulk order? I found 55lbs for $93.50= $1.70 per lb

I use Kent Marines "Reef Carbon" on my reef tank because i want to be safe. Poorer quality carbons can leach phosphate into your water. I use the Black Diamond brand on my FOWLR tank as there are no sensitive corals there. I don't have any actual data on which carbons leach phosphate more or less.

But I feel safe with the "Reef Carbon" or The Seachem brand "Matrix carbon"

I use a magnum 350 canister filter with chemical chamber. Changing the carbon and filter sleeve once a month.

On the FOWLR tank i use a whisper 1 filter. changing the carbon and filter once a week.

David B.

Craig, thx for the link.

phisigs79, that seems like a great price. What brand/type carbon is that?

davjbeas, I just started using Kent's Reef Carbon also. Bought it from Bigalsonline, 7lb tub for $37.

Anyone know if it's best to put in new carbon during a water change or in between water changes?

Guest Bemmer

phisigs79

I would go in on a group order for carbon. My preference would be kent's reef carbon or Seachem brand Matrix carbon. Why don't you post in the group order forum and see who hits.

Rebecca