Need advice on sump size for 150 g

Raj

Hello All,

I don’t have much space under the stand that I’m trying to use as a stand for my 150 gallon tank

Is 32 gallon sump a good enough size ?

Tank is SCA 150 Gallon not sure how much it will overflow when return is turn off I’m guessing 10-20 gallon

Any advice would be highly appreciated

Raj!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sump can be just as important as the display in some cases. More water volume never hurt, so the bigger you can go, the better. 

It wont just be your overflow volume that will hit the sump during a power outage, it'll also be the amount from the water line of the return nozzle. 

Something else to consider, is make sure your skimmer can fit vertically. 

How much room do you have to spare under the stand? get Just keep in mind that bigger isn't always better. If you are keeping a skimmer, heater, and return pump among other items, you want to make sure there is enough room to remove them as well. I went with a 55g DIY sump for a 180g tank and I barely have enough room on top to remove everything if necessary. In hindsight, 40g would have sufficed with a little more wiggle room. 

SCA told me it will back siphon 8-12g depending on how you have it plumbed (not using their plumbing kit as it will back siphon half the tank). After gonkulating some sump sizes, I chose a 50g long that is 48x18x13 (LxWxH). This was enough to have a 15% (by volume) refugium, a skimmer section that was fairly large, and a decent sized return chamber. This leaves about 12g for a back siphon (in theory). 

Glasscages quoted $232 to build the sump I designed below (adequate for Triton method even though I'm not using it). 

37091278274_b36f8cbde5_h.jpg

Thank you all for the advances.. 

@madweazl love the design of your sump but I did not understand "(not using their plumbing kit as it will back siphon half the tank)- how did you fix this issue"

@RW09903 "40g would have sufficed with a little more wiggle room" I need this if I use the existing stand, if I change the stand I might as well go with 50 gallon sump that SCA sells

@YHSublime ya I don't want to go taller then 15" or it will be pain to remove skimmer for regular maintenance

@Viktoriia  40G Breeder seems to be 36" x 18" x 16" . which is an inch wide 

The max I can fit under the stand is 39 inch by 17 inch (now I'm thinking about Trigger system 39 inch) which means I will have to find a way to some how put the ATO reservoir outside

At the same time I'm thinking about just making a new stand .. (I was about to add some more 2x4 to my existing 72 inch stand to support 150 Gallon - existing tank is 75 Gallon Reefer 350)

I will post some images from Taptalk for giving an idea of the problem I'm facing

I have a lot of SPS now .. another thing is how on earth will I be able to perform a tank swap without killing any SPS.. just another thing I have to ask once I decide on the sump and stand   

d49dd506eb40adc190f6b8bd8fe99a2c.jpgb49e6ec7fb7aeb84b7a03afc628cdc0a.jpgb1bb9c6795eb1befc1f4a6170f285c61.jpg

Will post the under stand image once I get home

Beautiful tank, what is pictured above? The new one, or your old one? 

Beautiful tank, what is pictured above? The new one, or your old one?

All is old made the stand for 75 gallon

But when I made it I made it thinking some day I’ll get a bigger tank but I totally ignored the fact that I will need a longer space if I want a bigger sump ..

I might just go with the whole process of making a new stand using 2x6 and no middle brace ..

For a 150, that stand is overkill and that’s most of your issues.

Buy a new 30” tall stand and you can fit a custom sump or wet/dry, decent sized skimmer, ATO system, dosing system, and some supplies underneath.

For a 150, that stand is overkill and that’s most of your issues.

Buy a new 30” tall stand and you can fit a custom sump or wet/dry, decent sized skimmer, ATO system, dosing system, and some supplies underneath.

I’ll probably make or buy another stand and get large sump..

But why is the stand over kill did I use too much studs ?

All of the lumber was much larger than needed. BenA here on the boards is making our stand and has done a fantastic job (1x6 and 1x8 with no center front brace), cant recommend him enough. 

40365249952_a8cae2b340_b.jpg

As for the plumbing, their primary drain only reaches about 14" up in the tank and the overflow has a weir at the top and bottom. That primary drain will empty 40% of the tank as it sits (unless yours came with a different kit). You just need to make one new stand pipe that reaches most of the way up the overflow box to correct it (similar length to the one with the elbow. 

Edited by madweazl

@Madweazl - love your stand and rainforest looking planted tank on the back

I want something like your stand without the middle brace and I’m 100% Sure I’ll replace the stock plumbing.

Thank goodness I asked for advice. I would have be totally missed the SCA design flaw..