zoos and mushrooms

jamesbuf

I've had plenty of people tell me that good lighting is all these guys need to grow and multiply. I've definitly taken small pellets and fed my mushrooms before, but I was curious to know of any additives to the water which may help them grow? I know alot of people are against water additives, but I'm not talking about minerals. All I have is a big frogspawn, a few colonies of zoos, and 2 types of zenia. I'm more into the corals that sway and move around, and I really want them to spread over the entire tank. I know patience is key, but I also want to make sure I'm providing for the best growth possibilities. Thanks guys.

James

... 2 types of zenia ... I really want them to spread over the entire tank ...

Be careful what you wish for young skywalker.

I don't feed any of my mushrooms, zoos, xenia, frogspawn.

Well my liverock is just liverock, with alot of coraline on them. I don't have any expensive sps and probably will never have any. I'm a fish lover, but I also just want my rock to look nice. Whats wrong with the zoos and mushrooms spreading all over the tank???

Be careful what you wish for young skywalker.

I don't feed any of my mushrooms, zoos, xenia, frogspawn.

I grew xenias...and by the time it got over 1/3 of my rock...I realized it looked just as boring as the rock...

too much of a good thing perhaps...

IMO...xenias and zoos are great...but keep a variety, rather than one type of xenia growing over your entire tank....and enjoy them growing out...no need to feed them...

If you're not careful, you'll be spending weekends cutting the xenia out of the tank.

I've already got two types of zenia, purple and redish-brown colored. I think the purple kind is the coolest looking thing I have thus far. Their little fingers blindly grasping is pretty cool. I'm definitly on the lookout for some other types if they exist. I am curious to know how fast they really grow?? And besides, if they grow too out of control I'll just scoop them out and throw them in my soon to be setup trigger tank. CARNAGE!!!

I had Xenia in one of my tanks a few years ago and thought the same thing as you I was hoping it would grow fast then it started to take over everything and grew over the top of some of my favorite zoos.

If you're planning on xenia as the main coral in your tank, no problems with letting it grow out of control. They actually fare a bit better when your water is a bit dirty and has lots of nutrients in it. They will clean it out and keep it nice and clear as well as nutrient free. They are an awesome nitrate sponge as well.

Be careful, though. If you go on to other corals, xenia can overtake many things without you even noticing it doing so. People who have mixed xenia in with sps, lps, and other corals have all had the same experience pretty much - it can overgrow these and kill them off. I have even had xenia kill off clams before because I didn't notice that they had overgrown the clams and shaded them from light. I do love xenia, though, and think it's one of the coolest corals out there!

Didn't realize they were that good at pulling nitrates out. Might have to put some in my refugium. I here about people letting it grow out of control. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and I haven't noticed any growth at all. I thought most of the corals grow so slow its easy to maintain where you want them to be. Guess I'll find out. You mentioned that they are good nutrient exporters, I'll bet thats why they are growing so slow. I've got 2 skimmers, and a refugium with chaeto and two types of caulerpa. Its competing for nutrients. Thanks for the comments guys.

James

If you're planning on xenia as the main coral in your tank, no problems with letting it grow out of control. They actually fare a bit better when your water is a bit dirty and has lots of nutrients in it. They will clean it out and keep it nice and clear as well as nutrient free. They are an awesome nitrate sponge as well.

Be careful, though. If you go on to other corals, xenia can overtake many things without you even noticing it doing so. People who have mixed xenia in with sps, lps, and other corals have all had the same experience pretty much - it can overgrow these and kill them off. I have even had xenia kill off clams before because I didn't notice that they had overgrown the clams and shaded them from light. I do love xenia, though, and think it's one of the coolest corals out there!