Going to LED from T5

epleeds

I’m going to try Radion G3 Pro’s over my tank. They are about 9” off the water. I have been running ATI bulbs on a sifgoili fixture and I’m wondering what intensity I should put the LED’s so I don’t burn the crap out of my corals.

I currently have it set for a max intensity of 24% at the peak. It slowly ramps up for several hours, peaks at 24% intensity and then ramps back down over a 9 hour period.

Does that sound reasonable? Or or should I lower the intensity more?

I have 4 G2's 18 inches above a 24 inch deep 180. My intensity is 55% at max. My PAR is 350 at the very top and 50 in the sand. The tank is 95% SPS. I get great growth and color. 

I will eventually ramp them up, however I’m just wondering if 20% max intensity is good to start them out for the first few weeks to get used to LED.

I have the blues at 100% and white/green/red at 20% on the left side of the scale, however I only have max intensity of entire unit at 20% overall as to hopefully not bleach the coral.

Does that sound right or should i go a little higher on overall intensity?

Measure the output of your existing lights with a par meter, make a chart, then install the leds and use the par meter to determine the intensity by matching the existing values.

If you think you should go higher, why not just ramp the intensity 5% every week? If I remember correctly, the Radions came with an acclimation program. 

What you have sounds like what I would do. 

Out of curiosity, why did you make the switch?

Measure the output of your existing lights with a par meter, make a chart, then install the leds and use the par meter to determine the intensity by matching the existing values.

Those lights are already down and the new ones are up. So that’s out

How many units are you running (assuming XR30s)? I believe the ATI fixtures produce something in the neighborhood of 100-120 PAR per bulb under approx 12" of water. 

Hmm, I think you're going to need one more fixture and run the lights perpendicular to the length of the tank due to the 30" width. Running AB+ profile? I'd suspect you're well short of the PAR you were offering with the T5s so it probably isn't a bad range to start in but I'd think you could run the same profile up to a max intensity of 50% without issue (using the same ramp up and down). 

Edited by madweazl