Is one Black Box LED better then others?

TonyInVa

I want to get a Black Box LED to put over my refugium. But I want one that will support RBT Anemones. My RBT keeps splitting and I need a place to keep them until I can rehome.

I have a BB 165w over my nem tank. Supporting about 14 nems...  I also have a 2nd over a fuge with cheto 14 mangroves and some corals. 

Edited by dpassar12

I have a BB 165w over my nem tank. Supporting about 14 nems...  I also have a 2nd over a fuge with cheto 14 mangroves and some corals. 

What does BB stand for?

What does BB stand for?

Black box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for utmost effectiveness and efficiency you need two different lights. you can compromise sure, but ideally one would have the macro under a spectrum light that will grow the algae/macros best, 630-660nm mostly with some 430-460nm for chlorophyll b uptake as well. the nems need a full spectrum but namely the latter. the black box designed accordingly will grow macro very well as the light can be quite intense but not ideal for the nems.

you may consider a macro reactor which will keep the entire population of the macro well lit with powerful dedicated and designed led lamp for macro, then keep the nems in the section planned and put an appropriate solution there.

and yes, the differences amongst black boxes is huge from power supplies, to ventilation, to quality of LEDs, to certifications and UL tested and CE passed. take a careful look at components and if you want check out one of the latest BRS videos talking about the full testing of the traditional black box.

lastly, one keep contain nems very nicely and cheaply with some fruit plastic baskets or similar and a pair of magnets or buoyant material to keep afloat.