test kit question

Djplus1

So this is going to come off as a total newb question, but since the move a couple years ago I've had most of my test kits in the garage. I realize most (if not all) need to be trashed, but do you guys think that I can get away with using the API test kit that I brought inside with the tank to test the cycle of the old trusty Red Sea Max. Obviously will get the fancier stuff when I have it up and running, but I never tested trates, trites, ammonia, PH etc once the tank was up and running.

Water has been in for a few days now and I'm dosing AquaVitro seed to kickstart the cycle.

I would skip the test kit and add an ammonia badge during cycling. 

Much, much easier than a test kit, so you're more likely to actually do it.

Wow, you're really talking to my lazy side, lol. I've actually never used one. Is it really safe to assume that once ammonia is at proper levels I can just add some fish without nitrite/trate tests? I will be in Rockville today, is this something that Congressional or Petco will have on the shelf?

Nitrites are lethal but processed by the same sort of bacteria as process ammonia, so the bump there passes fairly quickly. If you waited a few days after the ammonia levels dropped to zero, then you'll most likely be safe. 

Test kits are pretty cheap insurance compared to throwing away livestock. I know that ammonia and nitrite kits get very limited use (in most cases), but its just something to think about. 

Well, this goes back to the original question. Are my expired API tests most likely fine for nitrites/nitrates?

1) They're expired. 2) You kept them in the garage which, I assume, is not climate controlled. I'd part with a few bucks and just get new kits.

I had some old Hanna phosphorus ULR reagents that were as much as a few years out of date, but kept indoors at room temperature. Out of curiosity, I decided to check if they still performed well (since they're in hermetically sealed foil packets). I received (bad) readings about half-scale from the long-expired reagent, and accurate readings from packets that were less than a year out of date. The moral of the story is that time does take its toll on test kits, rendering even good kits untrustworthy.

I used to think expired test kits were just a ploy to get you to buy more of the product, but when I tested my mag with the same exact test kit (one expired, one not) it showed a remarkable difference!

I guess it's off to get a test kit. I'm not bothering to test for about a month anyway and I'm sure the tank will have probably cycled by then.

Alternatively, you could take your water to a nearby shop or to another hobbyist to test if the tank will likely have cycled by the time you get around to testing.