Sponge Fragging?

salteacup

I have a pretty blue/purple photosynthetic sponge that has grown off it's frag, and I want to take a little bit of it an put it in another tank and maybe add it to another part of its existing tank.

Here's where I got it: https://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Photosynthetic-Blue-Purple-Sponge-Frag-Reg-3999-Prodview.html

The current piece is still a pretty small piece of 4ish inches, so I don't want to accidentally kill it in the process. It has regrown 3 times from a tiny spec after my n00b tank crashes, so I think a little corner might be all I need to transplant. I plan on snipping a bit of it off underwater, and either dumping it in the other tank and hope for the best, or trying the "blender method" I've seen on a few other forums. 

Is there a size rule of thumb for fragging sponges to prevent trauma to the original piece? Should I wait until it is much bigger?

Has anyone here tried the blender method successfully?

I don't know about the blender method with sponges - I've heard of that being done with mushroom corals - but it should work, though it may take a while for stuff to settle and you may lose a bunch to your skimmer. Some sponge may release toxins, though, as a defense mechanism. If you're going to blend a sponge, you may want to seed it in its own tank (without other inhabitants) and, perhaps, run carbon on that tank until things take hold and you see a bunch of new sponge.

Fragging it should be simply a matter of cutting off a chunk and tying it down to a surface so it can attach.

One of our old members, Carla (aka Valeria), had this sponge and sold some to a bunch of members around here. They may be able to chime in to describe how they received their sponge (e.g. on a frag plug, fresh cut, etc.).

I have this sponge and just ripping it does the job. I use glue on a plug. Haven’t tried string.

Sounds great.

It's good to have other sources of this sponge still active in the hobby.

Thank you everyone! Did you have to take it out of the water to glue it to a plug? Since it is a sponge, I don't want to let it be out in the air.

I did. I’m pretty sure this sponge isn’t affected by it but don’t take my word for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take my word for it. Take that sucker out into the open air and cut it up With scissors. Then glue it to a dry frag plug. Been doing it that way for 4 years now. I'll send a pic of ones I cut a week ago

d03a97fa37538aaf80d5341a89444ee9.jpg

Sometimes if the glue soaks up in the sponge it can irritate it a little. So I would go with either a large piece, or I would go with a tiny amount of glue on just a corner of the sponge. On occasion they will come lose. But they do encrust on the plug within a couple weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...