YHSublime

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, roni said:

Oh man, I'm sorry about the trach.   The issue with the doser is why I've become almost obsessive about double checking whenever I mess with electronics but at the same time, not being able to get to something easily makes that harder.  The other thing I now do is any "preventative maintenance" on my system before a trip is done at least 3-4 days before, as that's always when I end up messing with something I don't normally mess with and cause a problem.

That hammer looks really nice!  It's still amazing how much you pack into such a small space.  I'm already regretting how close some of the corals in my tanks are as they are starting to grow close.  I can't imagine trying to navigate that in a smaller volume.  

i try and do the same, but you’re right about the hard to reach place. My dogs also think it’s a game whenever I get on the floor! 

the small space and packing in is a bit of an art/disease. The “frag tank” was meant to be a tank for frags, but now it’s just overflow. 

1 hour ago, Ben A said:

Love this setup. 

The stand alone is one of reasons i’m still with it. I’ve thought about bumping into bigger tanks, but they wouldn’t look as nice in the space. you did an excellent job here in executing the design and build!

This is also the only tank I’ve ever planned just about everything on with focused intention. And the frag tank as well. 

1 hour ago, denis_anthony said:

This is my first time coming across this thread. I really like your idea of using this as a peninsula. I had the same exact tank but struggled to get my flow right but you did this one very well!

It was always an idea in the back of my mind, but I always had other tanks. I wanted my "dream tank" this go around, something that would last me at least a decade. I was moving around a lot when I set it up and was getting exhausted breaking down and setting up tanks. This is the perfect size. 

I've never had problems with flow, until I started growing SPS, then I had to add an additional MP10 on the end of the peninsula, which I never wanted to do, but form follows function, in this case. 

That issue with your doser sucked. Weren't you into Apex back in the day? What happened to that? Always good to have some kind of device to help you notice these things.

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

That issue with your doser sucked. Weren't you into Apex back in the day? What happened to that? Always good to have some kind of device to help you notice these things.

Been old school for a while. Will get back into it

Believe it or not, everything has just been spot fed, so some of the torches, anemone, etc are still inflating. The Dragon Soul torch in the middle easily fills in the entire space between the rocks by the end of the day. I went to go move it about a month or so ago, and broke off part of the main "trunk" so it's shorter than it used to be. I will have to trim it back this week, as it's starting to sting corals on the ledge/lip. 

51896196324_1d89d2ae51_o.jpg

In other news, the trachy is almost officially dead. I haven't the heart to pull it out until it's complete skeleton, but there's not a lot of hope here at this stage. I don't know exactly what went wrong, but I try not to beat myself up about it, as everything else is doing great. The clowns have found the CSB, so they are back to the anemone living. It's strange, but they sometimes divorce at night and go back to the indo torch on the other side of the tank. Sometimes one, sometimes both, it must be nice to have a get away house! 

51895946698_3143354a61_o.jpg

And it's time to start scraping the chalice off the side of the tank again. I'm not going to lie, this scraping corals off the side of the tank is getting pretty old pretty quick. 

51895857916_e798138e7e_o.jpg

Sorry about the trach...that really sucks.  The rest of the tank looks really good and sometimes things die for inexplicable reasons.  There are other times where I wonder about the recovery ability of our corals.  I had a cyanaria that was twice been badly stung by another coral falling into it in the last 6 months.  I seems to die and then recover almost immediately.  

How are you keeping the zoas from completely taking over and overgrowing the sps or other zoas?  I've found that when I have 2 colonies next to each other, the faster growing (less expensive) one dominates. 

3 hours ago, roni said:

Sorry about the trach...that really sucks.  The rest of the tank looks really good and sometimes things die for inexplicable reasons.  There are other times where I wonder about the recovery ability of our corals.  I had a cyanaria that was twice been badly stung by another coral falling into it in the last 6 months.  I seems to die and then recover almost immediately.  

I just focus on what I can focus on, I know the tanks not perfect, there have been some alkalinity issues, the trachy had corals and crabs dropped into it, and I think my peppermint shrimp may have torn it apart at night stealing food. I really need to get them out of the display, but there's no room to try and catch them. 

3 hours ago, roni said:

How are you keeping the zoas from completely taking over and overgrowing the sps or other zoas?  I've found that when I have 2 colonies next to each other, the faster growing (less expensive) one dominates. 

Maybe I've been lucky, but I don't really have an answer for this. I'll take plugs and epoxy/glue them down right over the zoanthids, they grow up and around again. They shade the base of the SPS, but the acros never really seem to mind, except they don't have space to encrust. I was hoping it would in turn force them to branch. As for the different zoanthids, none of them seem to get choked out, I do have some hybrids because they were so close together. None of them seem to disappear, we will see what happens in the future. 

I don't think I'm far off from having to do some serious fragging and clean up, and I'm not looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, AlanM said:

Use the trachy skeleton as an interesting substrate for zoas.

that’s a good idea, I’ve got some grand master kracks that wood look cool growing like that.

34 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Mesmerizing! Love the music.

thanks! the iPhone has gotten pretty great adjusting video color! 

looking good!  i may need to get some of the gsp from you next time i see you.  that might be a great back covering in the kids' softie tank instead of scraping coralline.  

27 minutes ago, roni said:

looking good!  i may need to get some of the gsp from you next time i see you.  that might be a great back covering in the kids' softie tank instead of scraping coralline.  

no problem, I just throw the stuff away these days.

On 2/25/2022 at 9:05 AM, YHSublime said:

no problem, I just throw the stuff away these days.

Thanks, why did you have to move so far away!  

On 3/2/2022 at 8:47 AM, roni said:

Thanks, why did you have to move so far away!  

hahaha, not great for you, but been awesome for me!

Have you ever had a problem with the torches and the flow? Your torches seem to be doing fine with the higher flow. I just moved all my torches up on the rocks to be more prominent in the tank and they seem to be happy with the flow, but if I had a frogspawn or hammer in the same spot, they for sure wouldn't open. 

50 minutes ago, nburg said:

Have you ever had a problem with the torches and the flow? Your torches seem to be doing fine with the higher flow. I just moved all my torches up on the rocks to be more prominent in the tank and they seem to be happy with the flow, but if I had a frogspawn or hammer in the same spot, they for sure wouldn't open. 

I have. The Dragon Soul is huge, it started as 2-3 heads, and within the year is 20+ though. At first it kept a shorter spread, which I liked, bc my tank is actually very small. Now, by the end of the day/photoperiod it’s def fully extended. 

The Indo Pink Tip up on the rock stung a milli frag to H-E-double hockey sticks and back, so I upped the flow, for the past year that has been “waving” in one direction. It’s constantly getting beat up by flow, and now it nearly spans 12” by the end of the photoperiod. It started as 2 heads, and now there are 10+, so definitely not growing as fast as the other.

Basically, they both get beat up with flow, and seem to adapt, eventually. I will have to frag both soon, the DS is stinging SPS on the rock ledge, and the IPT is close to getting pulled into the MP10. 

That's some impressive torch growth! I'm surprised you don't have more issues with sweepers/stinging.  I've got most of my euphyllia clustered together but even then I've had to move things around to keep from stinging as the tentacles extend out further.  

4 hours ago, roni said:

That's some impressive torch growth! I'm surprised you don't have more issues with sweepers/stinging.  I've got most of my euphyllia clustered together but even then I've had to move things around to keep from stinging as the tentacles extend out further.  

Oh, I have a ton of issues with stinging and sweeping, but the motto in my tank is "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Or something like that. 

With my last series of photos, intentionally I doctored this one up because I liked the way the clownfish looked like a psychopath. 

51919022900_9b51e48d68_o.jpg