Don't toss your xenia!

luceneck

For many xenias grow like crazy   ild  so they toss them out to avoid having them take over.  How bout instead of tossing them, you let me come and pick them up!  I have seen some really poor xenias for sale at LFS, but I can't see myself paying $35 for the garbage they have there.

So before you toss send me an email!  lgomes1@umbc.edu

thanks,

Luciano

Don't Pay!!!  I must have given away or traded 8 chunks at the last meeting.

I'll score ya some.

Guest goblinshark
u talkin bout congressional, man their coral suck, but the fish are good...sorta

Nope not congressional but I know what you mean.  I was actually talking about Tropical fish World.  It is on Georgia Ave, about where it meets with Connecticut.  The store itself is next to a Outback Steak house.  They had an Xenia in there that wasn't even as thick as a pencil up for $30.  I did see an anemone dying in their tank and it was a bit discouraging.  The other anemone looked ok though.  That place is just nasty, brown algae everywhere!  The only cool thing about the store is that underneath their sw tanks there is a little pond/pool thing setup with a few sharks swimming around.  Huge setup, real nice for the sharks, (on just a visual basis).  I purchased my skimmer from someone and he said that I could come by and pick up some xenia once my tank was setup, but this was about 3 or 4 months ago so I'm not sure if I will overstep my welcome.  He told me that they grow rediculously fast and he flushes them about every week or two.  Hey if you got it to give away, then I'll take it is what I told him.

Luciano,

good timing.  I just tossed out a *@load of xenia last night, but also promised myself I would prune a lot more this wkend.  If you could come by this wkend I can give you lots of it.  feel free to call me at 703-242-4357 if you are willing to drive to vienna, VA, 22181, to pick it up.  thanks, David

I have a booming population of pulsating xenia.  Want some?  Let's try to arrange something this weekend.  I scrape it off, you take it home and mount it.

So far about 3 or 4 folks have come and taken some.  All happy with mounted stuff in their tanks.  Don't forget some gel based super glue and rubble...

s

Guest Nate and Roshni
Are xenia easy to keep? We currently dont have any corals but are looking to start soon.

Yeah if anyone has some xenia Let's arrange something.  My email is lgomes1@umbc.edu

Leave me your phone or address and we can set something up.

Xenia are pretty easy to  keep.  Infact they are basically a weed.  The reason I am looking for any soft coral is cause I only have PC lighting.  4x65w  with two 10,000k and actinic.  If you want to start something easy try and get some from the good people of your local reef club!  They charge a butt load at LFS for something that grows out of control at times!

In a system that is doing well, Xenia are fast growers and can do very well.  However, they can be a little tricky.  In fact, many call them the "Canary" of the reef as they are the first and most noticable to start looking bad when the water parms are off.   The stop pulsing as soon as PH drops.

I highly recomend them as a first coral for several reasons.  1: free if you attend any meeting or drive to any of a number of members homes (I'm in Fairfax) 2: Easy to frag 3: lower light needs 4: as previously noted, not a tragity on the world's coral reefs if you kill some.  5: no need to feed. 6: get good with these and then move on to other coral.

A 4 x 65w pc setup isn't bad at all!!  If your tank is a 55g, I'd suggest nearly any softie, most LPS, even a few SPS could be kept.  I have a 33g (same as a 55 but shorter) with just 130w of 10k and 96 w of blue and I keep all but the highest light need corals, even had a BTA do so well as to split in that tank!

Phil