LED fixture overheating???

Still_human

Hi there, my LED fixture that I got used after last summer, has started shutting off for 10-15minutes now and then, whenever it hits 120F, until it gets back down to 100F. I've never heard of that being a standard something that LEDs do. Obviously this fixture is set up for that, since it does the auto cool down, but that can't be normal, can it? I didn't think LEDs even got that hot, but mine does(just since it's started getting over 90F out). Is my fixture crap, or is it normal, or.....?

I don't like it in general, but I can live with it if it's safe, but I canNOT take ANY risks! We're going to be gone in a month, for a week, so no1 will b around to monitor things, and I'm getting worried. Even worse would be if something happened while NOT on vacation, and everyone is out, and all out animals are home alone when something goes wrong!!!

LEDs do get that hot.  The emitters on aquarium capable LEDs are about 5mmx5mm and can in theory be generating 5W each of power in that tiny area.  You need large heatsinks and usually also fans blowing on the heatsink.  Is the fan running on it?  Is it hot in the room?

No fans, and yes, a hot stuffy room. Probably in the high 70s, low 80s. I'd have to check to be sure. It's pretty humid too, from 2 big warm tanks evaporations. So I pretty much just need to run a fan onto the fixture? Wow, that's a relief! I was worried there was dangerous overheating going on from bad wiring or something that could potentially start a fire!!!

It's a Solaris. A discontinued kind, which doesn't do all the cool stuff it's supposed to, like dimming for cloud cover, which it actually has a setting for, but more importantly, it doesn't auto dim at all, it just turns on/off at morning/night, or adjust for calendar sunrise/set, even tho it keeps the date and all.

Solaris i5, I think it is. (The American model made to replace the crappy Chinese models...id HATE to see the crappy Chinese model!!!)

I don't know the fixture, but if you can dim it when you go on vacation I'd do that.  Also try to cool the room a bit and a fan running on it would probably help.

That's true, I didn't even think about that, I definitely will dim it when I go

If LED light fixture is getting hot, usually it is to do with the circuit board, something is not working well and heating (capacitors etc), the LEDs themselves are not generating a lot of heat. (Unless your room temperature itself is 80-90F).

Last time I had this issue on my maxspect razors, it started heating up due to saltwater spill when I was working on my tank. I had to replace the circuit board for 20$ and its all back to normal.