Fluconazole byropisis treatment

stonerjohnson

That's great to hear. Are you treating for Bryopsis or hair algae or both?

I'm hoping to treat Bryopsis and hair algae. I have some bubble algae too so we will see if it works with that. In the FAQ section it said they dont know if it treats it or not being most people are also using other methods to attach BA. I am not so I figured my tank would be a good test case. Currently no corals so my tank is a good test case I think. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the holidays, almost every year, my tanks take a hit as I skip a wc here AND there.  I started using Vibrant on both my FW and SW tanks.  Vibrant for FW took care of the algae in my FW tanks w/in a few weeks, I'm down to 1mL per 10 gallons every two weeks in the FW tanks, have to say, Vibrant works for my tanks.    However, in my reef, byropsis and bubble algae got way out of hand on both the rock and on the sand bed.  I raised my Mg, which took care of the rock byropsis, but it didn't touch what I thought was byropsis on my sand bed.   I started Vibrant for reef tanks on 3/11, dosing 1mL per 10 gallons 2x a week, the bubble algae is slowly fading, but my sandbed is still a mess.  During a wc a few weeks ago on my reef tank, I noticed the sand bed algae might be some sort of hair algae, hence, the interest in this fluconazole treatment for hair algae.  I ordered some capsules of fluconazole, it should be here tomorrow.  I'm going to dose 7.5 capsules (80 gallon water volume) and see what happens (would someone check my math please).  I'll post results here.

During the holidays, almost every year, my tanks take a hit as I skip a wc here AND there. I started using Vibrant on both my FW and SW tanks. Vibrant for FW took care of the algae in my FW tanks w/in a few weeks, I'm down to 1mL per 10 gallons every two weeks in the FW tanks, have to say, Vibrant works for my tanks. However, in my reef, byropsis and bubble algae got way out of hand on both the rock and on the sand bed. I raised my Mg, which took care of the rock byropsis, but it didn't touch what I thought was byropsis on my sand bed. I started Vibrant for reef tanks on 3/11, dosing 1mL per 10 gallons 2x a week, the bubble algae is slowly fading, but my sandbed is still a mess. During a wc a few weeks ago on my reef tank, I noticed the sand bed algae might be some sort of hair algae, hence, the interest in this fluconazole treatment for hair algae. I ordered some capsules of fluconazole, it should be here tomorrow. I'm going to dose 7.5 capsules (80 gallon water volume) and see what happens (would someone check my math please). I'll post results here.

18.75mg/gallon?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

18.75mg/gallon?

Utoh, that's not good  ;)

80 gallons is 302 liters, 5mg per liter would make it 1510mgs/200 mgs per capsule or 7.5 capsules....Where am I wrong?  I def don't want to overdose my tank!

Utoh, that's not good  ;)

80 gallons is 302 liters, 5mg per liter would make it 1510mgs/200 mgs per capsule or 7.5 capsules....Where am I wrong?  I def don't want to overdose my tank!

The guys on r2r use 5mg per liter. The person in this thread is doing 5mg per gallon and has had success. 

The guys on r2r use 5mg per liter. The person in this thread is doing 5mg per gallon and has had success. 

I'm going to do 5mg per liter for my first dose.  I know carbon out for 2 weeks, but what about my PS.....those who dosed here, did you leave your PS on?  I'm reading R2R and some left it off, some left it on to remove nutrients as the algae died.

I was thinking about doing the same, but with the success of it the other, I figured I would try lower dose first.

The largest capsule size is 200 mg so it's good for 10 gallons at 20 mg/gallon (or about 5 mg/liter). That's 8 200-mg capsules for 80 gallons.

The largest capsule size is 200 mg so it's good for 10 gallons at 20 mg/gallon (or about 5 mg/liter). That's 8 200-mg capsules for 80 gallons.

TY so much Tom, just wanted someone to check math.  :)

I'm going to do 5mg per liter for my first dose.  I know carbon out for 2 weeks, but what about my PS.....those who dosed here, did you leave your PS on?  I'm reading R2R and some left it off, some left it on to remove nutrients as the algae died.

If you follow the treatment per the article, you definitely turn down the skimmer so it doesn't skim out the meds. It's impossible to make the skimmer pull out nutrients but not the meds...

dial it waaaaay down.

If you follow the treatment per the article, you definitely turn down the skimmer so it doesn't skim out the meds. It's impossible to make the skimmer pull out nutrients but not the meds...

dial it waaaaay down.

Thanks Zy.......

Ok, treatment completed.  Carbon out, PS dialed wayyyyyyy down, PS cup off (and cleaned, yuk!), GFO left on, meds dissolved in tank water and poured directly in front of gyre 130, tank cloudy.  I'll report back in a few.  Thanks all!

Sorry for the slow response. I have two systems, both about 350 gallons of water.  Since I could only buy 20 capsules at once I dosed 10 capsules in each system.

So that is about 6mg/gallon.  For me this was effective, killed all the bryopsis in 2 weeks, and I have not seen any come back.  I did not have a bad infestation, so perhaps a stronger dose is needed if all your liverock is covered, but for me this lower dose was very effective.

Sorry for the slow response. I have two systems, both about 350 gallons of water.  Since I could only buy 20 capsules at once I dosed 10 capsules in each system.

So that is about 6mg/gallon.  For me this was effective, killed all the bryopsis in 2 weeks, and I have not seen any come back.  I did not have a bad infestation, so perhaps a stronger dose is needed if all your liverock is covered, but for me this lower dose was very effective.

Great results. Wondering still on how it does against hair algae.

im curious about BA. I think I will find out soon. My tank is an algae garden.

So it's been like 4-5 days now. I used 2 pills (200mg) for my approximately 80-90 gallon. Almost HA and bryopsis are gone, I think there is 1 small batch left. The BA are still there, but I think I see some floating off earlier, that may be nothing. I have some turf algae as well, and those seems unaffected for now.

It's been over a week since I treated my 60g, it doesn't seem to be working on the sand bed.

So it worked on rock?

So it worked on rock?

By the time I did the fluconazole treatment, I had already raised my Mg and had been using Vibrant for a few months, there is no HA or Byropsis on my rock.  The algae I have left is on the sand bed. 

Edited by londonloco

Well, I have to say this weekend this treatment turned the corner, the HA on my sand bed is much lighter in color, is not as thick as it was before my last wc and I believe is receding.  I should do a WC on Weds or Thurs this week.  I think I should do another dose of the fluconazole but hesitate as I'm concerned about going yet another 2 weeks with my ps turned down to really not working.  Thoughts?

So, I treated my tank about 10 days ago.  

I had some persistent bryopsiss that I couldn't get manually and didn't die off with high Mg and a fair amount of hair algae. 

It's all gone. 

I have a bare bottom tank so no sand to deal with and my skimmer was off the entire time.