What is this? Help please.

mac227

That looks like a polyp to the coral but the coral doesn't look happy at all. It almost looks dead

Well I've killed everything else already so it wouldn't surprise me. Such a frustrating hobby. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you just cut the frag glued it and took a picture. I would suggest getting stuff that aren't fresh cuts and have had a week or 2 heal time. Fresh cut stuff are the most sensitive to stress.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If your asking what's in the middle of the coral it's probably a barnicle which would mean it was probably a wild coral and looks fresh cut and stressed. Can't really see the polyps inside there either. Where did you get it? What was it sold to you as? Did it look stressed before you dipped it?

Looks like a dead coral skeleton like plate coral to me. Did you try brushing it off of the frag?

Yes, did try brushing it off. It's on there pretty good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has it moved? Is cone-shaped when viewed from the side?  Looks like a top-down shot of a keyhole limpet to me.

Edited by malacoda

If your asking what's in the middle of the coral it's probably a barnicle which would mean it was probably a wild coral and looks fresh cut and stressed. Can't really see the polyps inside there either. Where did you get it? What was it sold to you as? Did it look stressed before you dipped it?

I think you're right, likely barnacle. I got it from King of Corals. I've bought 4 Corals from there and 3 are dead. This is the 4th one. I only got it 7 days ago. New tank, just over 3 months old. I wouldn't know if it was already stressed, very new to hobby.

Has it moved? Is cone-shaped when viewed from the side? Looks like a top-down shot of a keyhole limpet to me.

Pretty flat from side. I googled keyhole limpet and it does look similar.

Small ones can be kind of flat, but not totally; very shallow cone shape.

Just a heads up - if it is a limpet it'll take a little effort to pull off. They have a pretty strong grip. And not all limpets are reef safe. I had several that came in as hitchhikers on uncured live rock from the Gulf, and caught one eating my acans.

Edited by malacoda

Small ones can be kind of flat, but not totally; very shallow cone shape.

Just a heads up - if it is a limpet it'll take a little effort to pull off. They have a pretty strong grip. And not all limpets are reef safe. I had several that came in as hitchhikers on uncured live rock from the Gulf, and caught one eating my acans.

Well it looks pretty ugly, so maybe I'll try to pull off with tweezers or something. How long can the coral stay outside of the water while I attempt to perform this brain surgery?

Definitely a barnacle.  As for the coral. It is very dead.  I am glad I have never purchased from King of corals.  If they are selling frags like that I don't want any part of them.

Definitely a barnacle.  As for the coral. It is very dead.  I am glad I have never purchased from King of corals.  If they are selling frags like that I don't want any part of them.

I haven't dealt with them but I would not cast judgement on a vendor based on a single bad frag. I won't name names but I've seen "a bad frag" from some of the more popular vendors that support WAMAS.

I haven't dealt with them but I would not cast judgement on a vendor based on a single bad frag. I won't name names but I've seen "a bad frag" from some of the more popular vendors that support WAMAS.

Yah true.  I think I made the assumption that they freshly shipped the frag  and they came in like that.  

We're getting off-topic, but since the OP helped get us here...

Realize first that there's nothing inherently "wrong" about getting a $10 frag from a retailer. But, you've got to also realize that, in doing so, you're more than likely assuming risk that the retailer is passing on to you (whether you know it or not). For example, a fresh-cut frag carries more risk of not doing well than one that is encrusted (healed). The same applies to other livestock, like fish: If a source is spending a lot of time acclimating, treating and quarantining, then their costs will naturally be higher since they're absorbing losses that you otherwise would suffer. If a retailer is pretty much just handing you a fish straight out of the wholesaler's shipment, then that investment is not being made and the fish will be (should be) cheaper (but, in that case, you're accepting higher loss risk). As long as you understand what you're getting (whether it's because the vendor has disclosed information to you or because you asked and got answers), then there's nothing wrong or unethical in the transaction. Beware of retailers that tell you one thing, but do another. If you fail to ask questions, then you're probably new at this and may have to learn the hard way.

We're getting off-topic, but since the OP helped get us here...

Realize first that there's nothing inherently "wrong" about getting a $10 frag from a retailer. But, you've got to also realize that, in doing so, you're more than likely assuming risk that the retailer is passing on to you (whether you know it or not). For example, a fresh-cut frag carries more risk of not doing well than one that is encrusted (healed). The same applies to other livestock, like fish: If a source is spending a lot of time acclimating, treating and quarantining, then their costs will naturally be higher since they're absorbing losses that you otherwise would suffer. If a retailer is pretty much just handing you a fish straight out of the wholesaler's shipment, then that investment is not being made and the fish will be (should be) cheaper (but, in that case, you're accepting higher loss risk). As long as you understand what you're getting (whether it's because the vendor has disclosed information to you or because you asked and got answers), then there's nothing wrong or unethical in the transaction. Beware of retailers that tell you one thing, but do another. If you fail to ask questions, then you're probably new at this and may have to learn the hard way.

Thank you all. I'm pretty close to giving up. At my wits end. The one you say is very dead is very new. Blew another $70 over the weekend on some new corals and turned the lights way down - especially the whites. My new corals are already losing color and becoming "boney". Very discouraged. Where am I supposed to get coral if I can't trust the two stores I've gone to? All my water and light parameters seem ok and no one has any answers for me. This whole thing has been a huge nightmare.

Just don't do corals right now. Just enjoy fish let your tank mature and in a few months like 6 or 7 start adding corals 1 at a time not 6 or 7 and see what happens from there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Also what other kinds of corals are you getting? Start off with some easy stuff, softies like zoas and mushrooms, xenia, GSP etc. Hold off on the SPS or LPS for now. 

Thank you all. I'm pretty close to giving up. At my wits end. The one you say is very dead is very new. Blew another $70 over the weekend on some new corals and turned the lights way down - especially the whites. My new corals are already losing color and becoming "boney". Very discouraged. Where am I supposed to get coral if I can't trust the two stores I've gone to? All my water and light parameters seem ok and no one has any answers for me. This whole thing has been a huge nightmare.

Bring about 4oz of tank water with you to the meeting on Saturday and I will run the whole spectrum of tests on it and see if we can troubleshoot it. My bet is the problem lies with one of the parameters you are not testing.

Try and stick it out. This whole hobby is about trial and error. We will figure out what is causing the coral die off.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Also what other kinds of corals are you getting? Start off with some easy stuff, softies like zoas and mushrooms, xenia, GSP etc. Hold off on the SPS or LPS for now.

+1 look up zoa palytoxin before you get them though. I got an red dragon acro as my 3rd coral and it died immediately.

Work with members and get some easy varieties to start with. Look at your system and your husbandry habits to make sure that you're set up correctly and are doing things right. 

3 months in and youre dropping hundreds on things you have no idea about leads me to believe that you didn't research this very carefully before getting into it.

This place (WAMAS) has a better selection than most stores, better knowledge than all stores, and people who will help you first without trying to make a quick buck.

I suggest starting here, then venture into the real world after getting as much knowledge and wisdom that is offered for free....

I'm sorry you are having issues with your tank and corals. It can be frustrating at times. It takes patience and time. 

It's worth it to become a member of WAMAS so you have access to things that members sell. The selection and price of corals for sale right now would blow your mind. There is a lot for sale right now since we are coming up on a quarterly meeting date. You may or may not be ready for some corals right now but when you are, you can be assured that the selections and prices from members is well worth the $20 membership fee.