An idea: palytoxin information sheets

mari.harutunian

Tom, didn't Steve Outlaw do a write up about his exposure?  I remember he was hospitalized for days, and was having a hard time walking even 6 months later.  Now he did go to the extreme of boiling the polyps to get rid of them, and inhaled the toxins big time....

Exactly. He boiled them in an attempt to kill them off. You recall that one technique to get rid of Aiptasia was to direct boiling water on them (through a tube while still in the aquarium). Steve, tried taking it a step further and with a different species, and he put the rock into a pot of boiling water creating a steam-driven aerosol that he, coincidentally, inhaled.

Inhalation seems to be the common thread for most of our severe to extreme cases of exposure. I'll tell you what I've done in the past that seemed to help. Not only was I fully gloved, I wore a face shield, lab coat and (this was key, I think) and organic/pesticide-rated respirator. Each time I've worked with them since adopting those precautions, I've emerged largely unscathed or, at worst, with minimal symptoms. It's not the most comfortable get-up to wear, though. Breathing through a respirator feels a little like breathing through a scuba regulator except you've got heat building up around part of your face. 

Exactly. He boiled them in an attempt to kill them off. You recall that one technique to get rid of Aiptasia was to direct boiling water on them (through a tube while still in the aquarium). Steve, tried taking it a step further and with a different species, and he put the rock into a pot of boiling water creating a steam-driven aerosol that he, coincidentally, inhaled.

Inhalation seems to be the common thread for most of our severe to extreme cases of exposure. I'll tell you what I've done in the past that seemed to help. Not only was I fully gloved, I wore a face shield, lab coat and (this was key, I think) and organic/pesticide-rated respirator. Each time I've worked with them since adopting those precautions, I've emerged largely unscathed or, at worst, with minimal symptoms. It's not the most comfortable get-up to wear, though. Breathing through a respirator feels a little like breathing through a scuba regulator except you've got heat building up around part of your face. 

Good call.

I thought he poured boiling water directly onto them and the steam cloud hit him in the face.

Steve did but others did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know why anyone would want such an ugly coral to begin with.....theres already endless choices out there, that are far safer.

My heart just missed a beat...

#notmyopinion

Ring%20of%20Fire_zpsa5fwdfdu.jpg

z11_zps0r1apqmt.jpg

z15_zpsvye1pmqi.jpg

I dont know why anyone would want such an ugly coral to begin with.....theres already endless choices out there, that are far safer.

Lol. Regarding the potential ones: We really didn't want it. It was an invasive pest in my tank that I spent years (on and off) trying to eradicate. For a long while, you would see it in many tanks in the region, including in LFS tanks.

Something to be aware of, though: Palytoxin is by no means limited to this one variant. It's present in varying concentrations across most, if not all, palys and zoanthids. So, be educated and be careful.

Sent from my phone