An observation

zygote2k

A members' tank that I maintain has been fallow for nearly 4 months after a velvet outbreak. The tank has been running without any herbivores other than snails and urchins- algae growth was rampant and pretty much unchecked. The 10 year old rock sprouted lush Halymenia and after the Marine Betta was re-introduced and the feeder activated, hair algae became long and threatened the SPS.

I introduced a Desjardini and a Yellow Tang and within 10 days, they have eaten every bit of hair algae in a 400g tank.

I had a similar result in a tank I was breaking down.  It was fishless, only a small CUC.  I slacked on maintenance and it started to become overrun with algae ( GHA and several other types ) I introduced a Kole Tang for observation before going into my DT.  Within 2 weeks all of the algae was gone. 

They are pigs. The problem is people with under 200g tanks tanks see our wonderful posts and order one. These fish need a lot of room. Mexican turbo snails are a good alternative for smaller tank Here is mine snacking on some bubble algae