Grow Out Contest Interest

sethsolomon

Grow Out Contest  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What corals would you be willing to participate in for a grow out contest?

• SPS
    • LPS
    • Zoanthids
    • Softies
  2. 2. If you picked SPS vote for more specific

• Montipora - plating
    • Montipora - encrusting
    • Montipora - branching
    • Acropora - bushy
    • Acropora - tabling
    • Acropora - stag
    • Birdsnest / Pocilipora / Stylopora
    • Miscellaneous oddities
    • None of the Above
  3. 3. If you picked LPS vote for more specific

• Euphyllia - Hammers, Frogspawn, Torches
    • Acans
    • Favias / Encrusting Brains
    • Fungias / Tounges
    • Candy Canes / Trumpets
    • Chalices
    • Blastos
    • Flower Pots - Goniopora / Alveopora
    • Pectinia
    • Miscellaneous oddities
    • None of the Above
  4. 4. If you picked Softies vote for more specific

• Leathers
    • Mushrooms
    • Polyps - Cloves / pipe organs / Sympodium / Knopia / GSP
    • Xenia - Anthelia / Xenia / Cespitularia
    • None of the Above
  5. 5. If you would participate in a growout contest, how much would you be willing to spend?

• $5
    • $10
    • $20
    • $30
    • $40
    • $50
    • $50-$100
    • $100+

Hey Everyone,

In the light of some of the interest in growout contests.  I figured we could get a poll together to see what a majority of the community would like to see if we did a grow out contest.

All questions are multiple select.

Edited by sethsolomon

Why does there need to be a fee if the coral is donated? Who gets the money if there is a fee?

I mean, I'm not objectionable to paying a small fee if it is to cover non-livestock costs, but if the fee is for the coral, then it is more like just everyone buying a frag so someone makes money and the contest then becomes a sales gimmick. The exception to this would be if the coral is donated by a WaAMAS sponsor, in which case the fees would be donations to WAMAS, not just to a member using a contest proposal to get people to pay for frags.

Isn't at least some of the entry fee prize money for the winner(s)? The initial coral has to come from somewhere, and absent a donated colony, the source of the coral should be compensated-be it a forum friend or a store.

I don't see why anyone should feel compelled to participate if they object to the terms of the contest. This thread is just for gauging interest and for determining general direction. Sounds like a fun idea to me.

man you should include invertebrates because my rock flower anemones collection is growing like a champ! started with 30 now I have 45 last count in 1 year!!

The money is to buy in for a winners pot and compensate for the coral that is bought or donated. If the coral is donated, the money goes to the club to help pay for all the awesome stuff that the club does for us.

Businesses don't just give away corals for nothing. They expect somthing back from the donations whether it be a dedicated forum on our website or advertising or something else.

If a member wanted to donate a coral to grow out contest, they are more than welcome. But adding a cost makes people more involved in competing for a prize vs just doing it for a free coral. This is why I added a $5 option.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by sethsolomon

Isn't at least some of the entry fee prize money for the winner(s)? The initial coral has to come from somewhere, and absent a donated colony, the source of the coral should be compensated-be it a forum friend or a store.

I don't see why anyone should feel compelled to participate if they object to the terms of the contest. This thread is just for gauging interest and for determining general direction. Sounds like a fun idea to me.

+1

man you should include invertebrates because my rock flower anemones collection is growing like a champ! started with 30 now I have 45 last count in 1 year!!

This is an interesting thought. I was under the impression that rock nems reproduced sexualy. But if not, it may be an option. I think it would be difficult to find 5-20 identical sized rock nems.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The prize pot makes sense to me, but when I was thinking about it originally, I thought it was too much like gambling to be allowed by WAMAS.

The prize pot makes sense to me, but when I was thinking about it originally, I thought it was too much like gambling to be allowed by WAMAS.

Not too different than Fantasy Football imo