Finding Juvenile Clownfish for Thermal Stress Research Project

Celebrian

Hello.

I am currently designing a marine biology research project for my school's senior lab concerning the impact of ocean warming on marine fish. Specifically, I'm planning on studying the effect of thermal stress on the growth of clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris). In order to observe noticeable changes in growth, I'd need to use rather young clownfish in the experiment. I am planning to attempt breeding my own clownfish for experimental purposes. However, due to the unpredictability of the captive breeding process, I would also need to purchase a few juveniles from outside sources to assure that I can record some base data. Does anyone know of possible places where I could find very young clownfish for this purpose? I can assure that the clownfish will not be harmed at any time.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

I have seen juvenile clownfish at Reef Escape and Centreville aquarium in the past.  If you need to order online, Sustainable Aquatics is a large clownfish breeder. 

There are also several members who's clowns routinely lay eggs, they maybe willing to give you a clutch it you want to try to raise them. 

I have seen juvenile clownfish at Reef Escape and Centreville aquarium in the past.  If you need to order online, Sustainable Aquatics is a large clownfish breeder. 

There are also several members who's clowns routinely lay eggs, they maybe willing to give you a clutch it you want to try to raise them. 

Thank you for your help. I currently have a mated pair of clownfish that have been laying eggs repeatedly, but am having trouble removing the eggs from the parent tank. The eggs are attached to a large rock that does not fit into the breeding tank I was planning on using.

Have you tried putting a tile in the tank near their normal laying spot? Then the tile could be removed to a ore tank for hatching.

Some times it seems like clowns are drawn to flower pots when laying also. That would be easy to remove.

Edited by SandJ

If you lay a tile against the rock so that it covers the spot that they normally lay eggs, I've heard that they'll often just lay their eggs on the tile.

Raising baby clowns will require that you read up in advance so that you understand more about their early nutrition needs.

Have you tried putting a tile in the tank near their normal laying spot? Then the tile could be removed to a ore tank for hatching.

Some times it seems like clowns are drawn to flower pots when laying also. That would be easy to remove.

I have tried placing a flat tile-like rock on the normal laying spot. However, the female clownfish was able to either move the rock away, or ignore it and continue laying the eggs on the large rock.

The strange thing is that in the past, the clownfish used to lay the eggs on the flat rock. Then, they suddenly moved to the larger rock. I'm not exactly sure why this happened saying that there was no change in the rock arrangement or other tank conditions.

I have not tried using flower pots yet. Is there a reason that some clownfish are attracted to lay their eggs in flower pots? I have a piece of artificial life rock that has a similar shape that I could try to use.

Thank you to everyone for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

It's really the surface that they like, they clean it off and look for a nice smooth surface.  If you can provide them with the right one in the right place, they'll use it.  A flower pot gives a bit of shelter - only thing I would do is to get it "seasoned" first and let it develop some biofilm.