Think I can save this bleaching hammer?

mari.harutunian

(edited)

Bought this bleaching 4 headed hammer for $15 a few weeks back. It's still bleaching but more extended than before. I didn't light acclimate properly and underestimated my LEDs so now it's at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mari.harutunian

This article may help. You probably will need to feed the hammer while it tries to recover new zooxanthallae. Keeping it low in the tank is probably a good idea for now. On the plus side, it looks well inflated and that would seem to be a good sign. 

Yes. I brought euphs back from far worst damage.

Keep it in a lower light area or lower your light output.

Feed it something small. Frozen brine mysis whatever. Even liquid coral foods. I had one that was ghost white. And in a few weeks it's a beautiful dark Forrest green with pink tips.

That hammer doesn't look bleached, but just looks pale. I have found that as long as the tissue is completely coverind the base of the coral down to the first branch intersection and not receding up the branch, that the coral will survive pretty much anything.

Polyp lab actually sells reef food trial packs for $2. I ordered some today. Might wanna try that I hear good things about it

I have reef roids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammer rarely dies from lack of light I keep mine in the corners and save the high light for the SPS. But often lightens in too much light. It sounds like you pinpointed the problem :)

I would not bother with the powdered coral foods for a hammer.  I would just use tweezers and hand feed it 1-2 mysis shrimp 2-4 times a week.  This will limit the tank getting over fed.