Help with reef octopus 152-s skimmer

Mattb1612

So I need help I am at my wits end with my protein skimmer. The bubbles are not reaching the top and I have fully closed the vavle to it and still nothing. Idk what I'm doing wrong and it's at 8 inches deep and I can't get it to skim properly any ideas. I have cleaned it and tried multiple things(exp cleaned the air line, took the whole body apart, cleaned the pump) what else am i missing? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

How old is the skimmer?

How old is the tank?

What are you feeding the tank?

With out pictures none of this is true :)

With a new skimmer it can take awhile to break in. Also depending on what your feeding, oils can effect the skimmers ability to create a foam head.

If you have fully closed the gate valve, the water should not have anywhere to go except through the neck (unless there's another way the water is getting out of the skimmer body). Is the base plate sealed to the skimmer body well? Is the pump pulling in water? Take it off the skimmer and check how much flow you get out of it.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, if the skimmer is new there can be a significant period before it starts operating as intended. This process can be shortened up by letting the skimmer run in a vinegar solution (will dissolve casting release agents and other gunk). If the skimmer isnt new, have you double checked the venturi (line is clean too?) to make sure it is completely clean? Any issues with the impeller (cracks, scarring on the magnet etc.)?

Edited by madweazl

Sorry I should have told everyone background about my tank. My tank has been running for about 6 months now. I have 1 yellow tang 1 potter angle 1 sixline wrasse and 2 chromis. I feed once a day a turkey baster with mysis and brine shrimp. I also use a 2x2 inch sheet of algae once a week. I will attach pictures later to show you my issues. Coralvue has not been helpful in assisting me. 

Orgami: I turned the gate valve completely closed and the bubbles are still not making it even half way up the cylinder. Would you recommend sealing the bottom of the skimmer with some type of sealant to create a secure seal?  

Sorry I should have told everyone background about my tank. My tank has been running for about 6 months now. I have 1 yellow tang 1 potter angle 1 sixline wrasse and 2 chromis. I feed once a day a turkey baster with mysis and brine shrimp. I also use a 2x2 inch sheet of algae once a week. I will attach pictures later to show you my issues. Coralvue has not been helpful in assisting me. 

Orgami: I turned the gate valve completely closed and the bubbles are still not making it even half way up the cylinder. Would you recommend sealing the bottom of the skimmer with some type of sealant to create a secure seal?  

Do not use any sealant on the skimmer. Is the skimmer six months old? Did it work properly at some point but now is not?

I would not add a sealant. It should be designed to seal sufficiently all on its own.

Most of what has been said goes to the formation and stability of bubbles. I'm reading your concern not as that, but of adequate flow through the skimmer.

Where are you located during the day and do you have time during the workday to show me the skimmer? I may be able to figure out what's going on.

Yea so the bubbles are not making it up to the top of the skimmer. The skimmer is 6 months old and I have never had a full cup of skim. It has not run properly since day 1. I live in Herndon and would greatly appreciate the help origami. I am free Thursday and Friday this week or any day next week if you don't mind helping a new reefer.