Anyone keep Cephelopods?

reeferindc

Sam (L8 2 Rise) was interested in cephs a while back. He may have something. We don't have a forum specific to aggressive tanks.

Cuttles are really why I got into the hobby, though it took 10 years for me to finally get back to them after everything else distracted me lol. I just recently raised bandensis cuttles through adulthood/ senescense. I've also raised them to several weeks of age twice before, but in one case I was experimenting and didn't feed correctly, in the other the eggs hatched in shipping and inked, which messed up the cuttles pretty bad from the start.

Walter (seahorseconservancy) was also trying to raise his around the same time as me. Not sure how they ended up fairing. Dave Lin has kept octopuses a few times too.

What were you wondering?

Cuttles are really why I got into the hobby, though it took 10 years for me to finally get back to them after everything else distracted me lol. I just recently raised bandensis cuttles through adulthood/ senescense. I've also raised them to several weeks of age twice before, but in one case I was experimenting and didn't feed correctly, in the other the eggs hatched in shipping and inked, which messed up the cuttles pretty bad from the start.

Walter (seahorseconservancy) was also trying to raise his around the same time as me. Not sure how they ended up fairing. Dave Lin has kept octopuses a few times too.

What were you wondering?

Sam, come to tomorrow's meeting. Laura Birenbaum is one of our speakers. You may remember her breeding dwarf cuttlefish a few years back. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of getting a octopus or maybe trying a cuttlefish. I have a 50 gallon tall cube and wanted to try something a little different.

Octopus can escape out of a hole the size of Their beak

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I say go for it, they're very interesting and can be a lot of fun! A 50 would be big enough for a small group of bandensis cuttles (imo your best option), or a smaller species of octopus.

Rich Ross has published a lot of literature on cuttles and some species of octopus, so most that you need to know is already out there. I also suggest checking out TONMO.com where many other Ceph heads post.

What experience do you have in reef keeping? If you have some, then bandensis are relatively easy to already be prepared to raise. You can keep them under normal reef tank conditions with peaceful corals. Water quality is very important, however. You can also raise cuttles from eggs- which is important because they ship much better this way, and you know exactly how old the cuttle is (most ceph's have a 1ish year lifespan).

Octopuses require a lot more work- octo proofing can be difficult (tonmo has a lot of info on this), no powerheads, stronger rockwork, added difficulty in getting them to eat as adults, typically are already halfway through their lifespan when collected, etc. if you go with octos, I strongly recomend doing your research on the differences between species and waiting to buy until the right species and age comes available (can take a lot of patience). Many octos are nocturnal and/or VERY shy. If I ever get an octopus I would like to get a bimac - which would require colder water than a reef, or a briarius - which would need at least 75 gallons IMO.

Very interested in following along, so keep us updated with what you decide!