Coral in a bag

Joshifer

I don't buy from Petco since that goni situation. But since I'm in fallow I talked myself into it lol.

They got a very pink torch coral tentacles are pink and the tips are darker pink. That I could not resist. Yes I'm sure it's a torch this time lol. And it was on sale for $11.99 wish they had more than one. Anyway to my question.

How long can it sit in the bag out of direct sunlight as I'm working at the moment. I know bad idea but it hypnotized me lol.

And actually for a Petco. They have a really nice frag tank. First time I saw an actual frag tank at a Petco. And they had a huge selection. clams dusters nems tank was really clean. They also had ORA snowflake clowns on sale. Also black and white clowns. Which taunted me but I resisted. lol

If you can toss it in an insulated box (line it with crushed newspaper if you don't have a small igloo cooler or similar), it'll do fine until the end of your workday. 

I could be wrong but I believe your fallow clock will have to be restarted because you are adding something that was not quarantined.

Yeah I'm gonna reset it up to a month to get everything I want and get it all out of my system so I don't impulse buy like I just did lol

If you can toss it in an insulated box (line it with crushed newspaper if you don't have a small igloo cooler or similar), it'll do fine until the end of your workday.

Okay thanks. I should be home by 5. Seems okay it's open in the bag. It's not tightly closed up. I just got it before I wrote this. I went in for filter floss and walked out with a coral lol

What happened to doing it the right way and not buying off impluse? Going fallow for 11 weeks? I'm sorry but I read your long post earlier about wanting to do this the right way and avoid losses? I was really proud of what you said earlier about wanting to create and sustain a wonderful tank and taking care of the issues at hand. We want you to succeed and I think that's why everyone is so vocal on your threads. We are trying to guide you in the right direction but guidance can only go so far. It's the same thing all over. At one point I feel yours questions will fall on deaf ears. Sorry if I sound harsh but I after reading what you posted earlier I just don't understand.

What happened to doing it the right way and not buying off impluse? Going fallow for 11 weeks? I'm sorry but I read your long post earlier about wanting to do this the right way and avoid losses? I was really proud of what you said earlier about wanting to create and sustain a wonderful tank and taking care of the issues at hand. We want you to succeed and I think that's why everyone is so vocal on your threads. We are trying to guide you in the right direction but guidance can only go so far. It's the same thing all over. At one point I feel yours questions will fall on deaf ears. Sorry if I sound harsh but I after reading what you posted earlier I just don't understand.

I was told by several people to stock up on the corals I want not to impulse buy in the middle of the fallow. It's only been like 5 days.

(edited)

I follow advice from one group and that seems to annoy another group. I'm tired of juggling everyone. I'll post my questions on another forum. And only use this one for the buy and sell. I am not offended or mad. Just my brain feels fried from trying to appease everyone. It's like one group is pulling my left arm. And another is pulling the right. I'm scolded about certain species then I'm sent PM about someone wanting to give me that species for free. Often by the same person whom earlier scolded me about not being able to have that animal. It's exhausting.

Edited by Joshifer

Josh, since it's only a couple of hours it's no big deal. However, just for education's sake, it's often better to close (seal) the bag up when shipping corals in a bag. The reason is that the decay process that will act on slime and other organics that come off of the coral will generate CO2 which will slightly acidify the water (lower the pH). This shifts the balance of ammonia/ammonium over to the ammonium end which is less toxic. That's why, if I receive a fish that's been in transit a while, I'll add an ammonia detoxifier to the bag during acclimation if I expect to keep the bag open for a while. (Because the fresh air will tend to raise the pH of the water and shift the ammonia species over from ammonium to the more toxic ammonia form.)

Again, it'll hardly make a difference in this case since it's only a few hours.

No one here has scolded you. You came here a few years ago and more or less had the same experience you're having now and had the same 'complaints' about your personality. You went away for a while and came back. The same behavior and buying habits are prevailing, the same issues keep arising. I don't think it's the problems of the 2 groups telling you to do different things, I think it's you and your lack of willingness to stick to a plan or to even formulate one and then to continually ask for help when things go wrong.

People here have been very generous to you with livestock and questions answered and rightfully so, because that's what a good club does for its' members, but at some point, enough is enough.

FWIW, I offered you the branch rock with a miniature quarter sized RBTA as a way of getting your RBTA that most likely wouldn't cause issues in your small tank. It currently lives in my IM 12g tank and doesn't wander.

I have told you many times on the forum or in PM that you should simply slow down and make a plan for success, rather than spur of the moment decisions and the consequences of those spur of the moment decisions.

I signed on today and saw that you added me as a friend- thanks. As part of being your friend, I'm telling you this stuff because I feel that many people (echoed above) are thinking this way about you and your situation and that's what friends get to do for each other.

(edited)

Not talking about you Rob.

Yours. Toms. Daves. Alan's. Kims. Marcus' Forrest's. And a few others is the advice I listen to. Everyone else is the "other group" mostly people who never post except in the buy and sell. I've never gotten fish/inverts from anyone. But every coral I was given is alive and growing new heads. Except that Duncan. Backstory it was stung in the previous owners tank by a euph. That one isn't doing too well but I'm not giving up on it. All the SPS I was given i rehomed for free because I'm leaning towards an LPS only tank.

Edited by Joshifer

I think that Josh is planning on running two tanks for the next few months: A QT tank, where he plans on collecting his "wet stuff," and his display which will run fallow for 11+ weeks. The torch coral was not an impulse buy, but was one on his "want" list (published elsewhere in the forum - the WTB forum, I think). He just happened to find a small one unexpectedly at Petco at a low price. He's working his way through that list early and resetting the QT timer as needed so he can perform a tank transfer sometime downstream. 

I think that Josh is planning on running two tanks for the next few months: A QT tank, where he plans on collecting his "wet stuff," and his display which will run fallow for 11+ weeks. The torch coral was not an impulse buy, but was one on his "want" list (published elsewhere in the forum - the WTB forum, I think). He just happened to find a small one unexpectedly at Petco at a low price. He's working his way through that list early and resetting the QT timer as needed so he can perform a tank transfer sometime downstream.

Thanks. I grew tierd of explaining myself so I didn't. You did it for me lol.

(edited)

Well I shouldn't call it QT. it's more an isolation/holding tank to watch and IF needed medicate. People are quick to jump to conclusions and I'm tired of explaining myself.

As said above. My progress and questions will not be here.

Edited by Joshifer

Well I shouldn't call it QT. it's more an isolation/holding tank to watch and IF needed medicate. People are quick to jump to conclusions and I'm tired of explaining myself.

As said above. My progress and questions will not be here.

Properly speaking, QT is isolation/holding. It's a tank where you quarantine - or isolate something from the others.  A hospital tank has medicine in it. Sometimes people will use the two interchangeably. Some even make medicating livestock a part of the QT protocol as a prophylactic measure. 

OK I am going to step in here just to say that I'm sure a lot of us has sworn not to do something with tanks or livestock, then did it anyway because of seeing a highly desirable coral, fish, or deal on something. It is not the end of the world. Fallow gets set back, and as long as it goes back to the beginning, there is no harm done.

OK I am going to step in here just to say that I'm sure a lot of us has sworn not to do something with tanks or livestock, then did it anyway because of seeing a highly desirable coral, fish, or deal on something. It is not the end of the world. Fallow gets set back, and as long as it goes back to the beginning, there is no harm done.

Thanks. I'm really laughing.

Lol, I want to know which Petco you guys go to and find any coral that compels you to spend money. 

All 4 Petco's near me usually only have near death looking LPS or polyps with little to no color.  

Usually their lighting is bright white and growing algae as well.

I know at least the one PETCO in Rockville is replacing their tanks and equipment. Maybe the one Joshifer went to was first on the list for an upgrade.