Any thoughts on my plan for removing GSP from live display rock?

arking_mark

Why can't you just let the rock dry out to kill stuff? Regardless of how you kill the stuff, you will still have to cycle the rock to keep the dead organics from polluting your tank water.

You could start a pest tank. Nuisance corals, let them run their course wild, toss in some mean crabs that people have to get rid of, a giant bristleworm, a bad fish maybe.

Edited by treesprite

I am planning on fragging the zoas (which I have done many times) to give me a zoa free zone of GSP to burn with a pencil torch. Zoas are: Toxic Revenge, Punk Rockers, and SunnyDs. Any of these zoas know to carry toxin?

The names are hobbyist- and reseller-created based upon their appearance. They are not scientific names. Just use reasonable care when fragging zoas or any corals for that matter. Use gloves and safety glasses.

Corals are grouped in the phylum, Cnidaria. One of their defining characteristics is that they have venomous stinging cells - cnidocytes. This includes GSP. If you're going to "cook" anything, you probably want to be in a well-ventillated place (outdoors) and upwind if possible. Aerosolizing toxins has been part of the problem in a majority of the cases, although there are cases of where direct contact (or even ingestion) has led to problems. Again, use gloves and safety glasses, minimally. 

• 3 weeks later...

Took advantage of the beautiful day to torch the GSP outside. Wore gloves, mask, and glasses as I also had to torch several zoas. Other than the awful smell, I think the job was a success. Knowing my luck, the GSP survived 1300 degree torching and will be back tomorrow!

It was a large flat-ish rock about 16x8x2. Spent about 20 minutes really charring the GSP and zoas in the GSP. Other than the smell which was almost unnoticable with the mask, rock seemed the same. I am just hoping the additional die-off does not adversely effect the tank. By really charring it, I was hopefully just introducing mostly carbon...but smell would indicate some substantial die-off.

How about just sell me the Rock and i get you another piece?

+1 BILLION ON ROB'S IDEA...... Why are Dudes wanting to always Burn,Boil...Torch Corals and Marine Animals we do not know enough about. What if GSP has a new form of toxin that is released only by your torch? Not enough known about our corals. Plan it smart or take one for the people/world so no new idiots will do it in the future. just sayin.

Good luck.

there is an easier way to kill off stuff like GSP.  Just dip it in Flukes tab.  30-40 min in the stuff and it will be dead/ luffing off the rock.  and poses no risk to your zoas on the rock.

It may have survived! I can't believe it. I was cleaning the tank today and brushing away the charcoal remains of the GSP...purple soft stuff underneath. I literally torched this stuff for 20 minutes. We'll wait and see...but may have survived.

• 1 month later...