"Ruin" decor

Joshifer

Picked these up from petsmart. For a $1 each. Their made by national geographic. I believe their made of poly resin. No bright paints on them.

I know it's not natural. But I wanted to grow GSP and other encrusting corals on them. (On her hair actually) Without adding more live rock.

I don't mind them fading. Or coralline/algae. It'll add more to the look. But will the paint poison the water?

Shouldn't. maybe it's food grade paint but I can't find anything on Google.

51ded37c84541b7a72def4e20bfd0249.jpg

Edited by Joshifer

Actually, it sounds pretty cool, gsp hair. Maybe some bristleworms could crawl around too and make it look like Medusa.

Cool idea. No idea if it is saltwater safe, but it probably is as long as it is designed to go in an aquarium. Just look at all the junk the Tanked guys put in their installs.

Actually, it sounds pretty cool, gsp hair. Maybe some bristleworms could crawl around too and make it look like Medusa.

That actually was my idea. Xenia and GSP on the hair. Medusa. I bought 2 of them. They double as caves.

Cool idea. No idea if it is saltwater safe, but it probably is as long as it is designed to go in an aquarium. Just look at all the junk the Tanked guys put in their installs.

I have rock cooking I stuck them in with it. See what happens. I also bought Greek columns I'm gonna break in half and stick out of the sand. Going for Atlantis lol might even stick a torch coral to the top of a whole one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Joshifer

I always thought these were a bit tacky, but my experience of them was ceramic ones in FW community tanks (divers and UFOs, greek columns with neon tetras). 

That being said, when I read your post I was kind of intrigued by the idea.  I can't help you with whether or not its toxic, but I'd imagine unpained polyresin (which I presume this is, ie this is the original color of the plastic) is no more dangerous than any other unpainted plastic (like used in intakes, filters, etc).  I did a google search and found a thread or two about this*.  

That being said, maybe ceramic ones (if you can find/ebay them) might be more suitable?

* http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1980243 

I also like the corals growing over one of these dudes' fake sunken ship (but note the caveats in the thread):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336064

Edited by KingOfAll_Tyrants

I always thought these were a bit tacky, but my experience of them was ceramic ones in FW community tanks. That being said, when I read your post I was kind of intrigued by the idea. I can't help you with whether or not its toxic (but I'd imagine unpained polyresin is no more dangerous than any other unpainted plastic). I did a google search and found a thread*.

That being said, maybe ceramic ones (if you can find/ebay them) might be more suitable?

* http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1980243

I also like the corals growing over one of these dudes' fake sunken ship (but note the caveats in the thread):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336064

I stuck them in toxic tank water for 10 days nothing happened. But alas the faces were too big taking up too much real estate. Maybe next time. Thanks for the info.

Also I contacted the maker. Their saltwater safe and use food grade coloring.

Plus my father cannot stand medusa. Every time he sees me in Versace he yells at me. Any day now he's gonna toss those faces out while I'm not home lol

Edited by Joshifer

Ah, too bad.  Inspired by both your post and the overgrown ship in one of those threads, I'm actually thinking of throwing one of these into my reef tank.   (Heck, maybe even something like the so-called Yonaguni pyramid.  Except they would get covered by coral real soon).   But yes, real estate is an important consideration - you don't want something too big!

Edited by KingOfAll_Tyrants

Ah, too bad. Inspired by both your post and the overgrown ship in one of those threads, I'm actually thinking of throwing one of these into my reef tank. (Heck, maybe even something like the so-called Yonaguni pyramid. Except they would get covered by coral real soon). But yes, real estate is an important consideration - you don't want something too big!

Those faces would've looked awesome with Xenia hair. Medusa. But too big. There in the clearance bin at petsmart if you want them. My dad actually threw mine away he hates medusa lol. I would've gave you them.

I did however break Greek columns in half to look ruined and l fragged a branching white gsp on them. Got lucky the white branching GSP is hard to find. The polyps are toxic green. I'm trying to find pink GSP. I found it at petsmart in Woodbridge but it was $100.

Edited by Joshifer