Is it just me or has the price of livestock shot up?

sen5241b

I bet it has something to do with the stricter regulations, like not using cyanide. I'm sure the volume coming in is lower now.

I don't think there's an easy answer, because we're not always comparing apples to apples.

Is the clam more expensive now because it's a better grade?  Larger size?  Aquacultured vs. wild caught?  Quarantined?  All these will drive the prices for one blue clam vs. another.  Same thing for fish.

In general, I think fish prices have risen over time faster than inflation.  But I also think wholesalers and retailers both take better care of the fish.

I took a look at some fish purchases from an old log.  I think most of the fish were average sized; I didn't buy super small or extra large fish.

2000-2001:

Scooter blennie $10

Coral beauty $10

Royal gramma $12

Yellow tang $20

Catalina goby $13

Bangaii cardinal $17

Canary blennie $15

Firefish $5

Foxface $39

Chromis $3 each

Ocellaris $19

ORA ocellaris clown $20

Coris wrasse $30

Yellow tang $30

Kole tang $30

PBT $80

Foxface $42

Ocellaris clown $18

Chromis $3

Purple tang $75

I had a chance to talk to them about their prices during the summer meeting. El Nino has something to do with it. I believe a few bad storms as well for their clam prices.

(edited)

I don't think there's an easy answer, because we're not always comparing apples to apples.

Is the clam more expensive now because it's a better grade?  Larger size?  Aquacultured vs. wild caught?  Quarantined?  All these will drive the prices for one blue clam vs. another.  Same thing for fish.

In general, I think fish prices have risen over time faster than inflation.  But I also think wholesalers and retailers both take better care of the fish.

I took a look at some fish purchases from an old log.  I think most of the fish were average sized; I didn't buy super small or extra large fish.

2000-2001:

Scooter blennie $10

Coral beauty $10

Royal gramma $12

Yellow tang $20

Catalina goby $13

Bangaii cardinal $17

Canary blennie $15

Firefish $5

Foxface $39

Chromis $3 each

Ocellaris $19

ORA ocellaris clown $20

Coris wrasse $30

Yellow tang $30

Kole tang $30

PBT $80

Foxface $42

Ocellaris clown $18

Chromis $3

Purple tang $75

INTERESTING! Fish prices have definitely risen. Quarantine systems are expensive, that's a factor

Edited by sen5241b

Yup prices have definitely risen. 

Some of the things I can remember back in 2010

Crosshatch Trigger Pair $500

Black Tang $300

Yellow Tangs $20

Royal Grammas $13

Cromis $3

Damsels $4

Powder Blue Tangs $40

Flame Angels $40

Coral Beauty Angelfish $25

Koran Angels $45

Sohaul tangs $100

Purple Tangs $100

Coco Worms $20

Fromia Starfish $15

I remember tridacna gigas being $80. Maybe supply is a problem? I haven't seen them for less than$900 lately

Edited by gmerek2

Absolutely.  I am seeing $170 regular sized Purple Tangs now. :wacko:  People can't afford to use damsels to cycle now...

Edited by PupChow

Simple.....Supply and demand.  Hawaii is putting huge efforts to restrict or even prohibit collections. Marshall islands stopped letting rock out several years ago, Tonga followed, but has let it come out again in the recent years.  Prices will continue to go up as reefs are dying, supply is diminishing across the board, which is all the more reason to get out and buy things you want NOW, as tomorrow they may be gone.....or too expensive for the average reef keeper to endure.

just my 2 cents from the inside.

John

Overhead also continues to go up. Think about rent prices and the cost of simply shipping something. Used to be that you could fly and bring bags for free, now you get charged. Freight costs and also tariffs, fees, and taxes on international shipments have also increased as has the cost of getting licensing and permits.