How to raise salinity

WCorbin82

I know this common question and I should know the answer. But how do you raise your salinity in a tank full of fish and corals. My ATO dumped a lot of RO water in my tank i don't know how much but it lowered my overall salinity to 1.023. Which I think is low. I would like raise it back to 1.026. My tank is a DSA 105 with a Triggers emerald 39 sump which is holding about 30-35 gallons. So do I perform a water change and have my salinity at 1.029 with the difference bringing it to 1.026 and how many gallons should the water change/add should be. Thanks for your advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the ability to run salt water in your ATO until you get the salinity back to where you want it?

Just take a 1/4 cup of salt. Mix it in a pitcher with the tank water. Dump it in. Let the pumps circulate for 20 mins and test.

Duplicate as needed.

I would just top off with saltwater vice freshwater until you reach the desired result. 

+1 - top off with saltwater.  You don't want to raise the salinity too quickly.

As long as your corals are looking like they're tolerating the reduced salinity (sometimes they don't), then topping with saltwater over several days until your target is reached is fine. If the corals are having a problem, though, I'd consider epleeds' advice to raise it a little more quickly to bring the corals back to a happier state. Alternatively, if you're able to calculate how much additional salt water you need to raise salinity back, then you can just pour new saltwater into your system (raising the system volume up over the ATO and, essentially, suppressing the ATO) and letting evaporation bring things back into line for you. 

As long as your corals are looking like they're tolerating the reduced salinity (sometimes they don't), then topping with saltwater over several days until your target is reached is fine. If the corals are having a problem, though, I'd consider epleeds' advice to raise it a little more quickly to bring the corals back to a happier state. Alternatively, if you're able to calculate how much additional salt water you need to raise salinity back, then you can just pour new saltwater into your system (raising the system volume up over the ATO and, essentially, suppressing the ATO) and letting evaporation bring things back into line for you.

Ok thank you I think I'm gonna do it with a few water changes over time I don't wanna do anything too quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk