How does everyone run their wires?

ReefAddict

(edited)

This weekend I hung the lights over my 125, and each light has 2 power cables.  Both lights cables will not reach one end of the tank.  I am going to get a controller sooner or later and want to know what everyone is using to get their power cords to their controller power bars or even just timers?  Extension cords don't seem like a great idea, but maybe they work fine IDK.  Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by ReefAddict

I use extension cords. I have several 6 to 8 foot ones to make up the gap between where my controller is and where my lights are. I did have an issue once where salt water dripped on the connection where one of the lights was plugged into one of the cords and it smoldered a lot before I figured out where the smoke was coming from. So watch where the connection points end up, preferably keep them high or under something that will prevent drips from getting in the joints (prongs/socket) area.

Extension cords unless you have a place to store an EB8 or equivalent up top. As Rob mentioned, extension cords can introduce a failure point.

As a possible alternative, if you power cords from your lights come off (like the back of a computer) you way want to consider replacing the existing ones with longer power cords. Otherwise, options would be to cut back the existing cords and splice longer power cords or a regular extension with some electrical tape wrapped around the connection. That could help keep saltwater out as well as keep the cords from separating.

Most people just throw in an extension cord and walk away. You can do that too but there are soooo many things that can go wrong I this hobby. It's good to take a few extra minutes to ensure things are solid.

If splicing you might consider selling the splice point with heat shrink tubing for a more finished look and to help seal against water.

It probably goes without saying but this type scenario is another reason to make sure your circuits are GFCI.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I use extension cords, but cover the connected section with a lot of silicone. I also put silicone around where cords plug into wall sockets if they are near the tank. If only one socket is used, I put one of those child covers on the second on and put silicone around the outside of that as well.

Edited by treesprite

You could always run the ligh cords to a box in the ceiling and then run a line to box on the wall near the controller.

sort of off-topic but still relevant- I'm hoping that manufacturers will offer raw cord length that the consumer will connect to allow for longer and shorter cords