Corals from a Tank with Dino

ReefAddict

I have a handful of corals that came from an LFS tank with a dino problem.  They have been in a qt tank for several weeks now and everything looks fine.  Do I need to do anything special (besides normal coral dip) before I put them in my display tank?  I don't want to risk an outbreak in my DT.

Thanks in advance.

Treat the frag tank for dinos. When all is good, do the transfer. Plenty of people treat their displays for dinos, so it's inconvenient for sure but not a deal breaker...I wouldn't junk the corals.

This is what I did on my 90g tank when I had dinos earlier this year. I followed some other trusted members' advice and it worked well. Dosing  common hydrogen peroxide in the right percentages did the trick and my dinos were pretty darn bad. I wouldn't think you'd need to do more than 2-3ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10g (probably just fine on the low end) each day in total...the good news is you're treating for something you're worried about versus something you're seeing...right?

Day 1 - 1ml 3% hydro per 10g

Day 2 - 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g

Day 3 - AM 1.8ml 3% hydro per 10g

PM 2ml 3% hydro per 10g (total 3.8ml per 10g)

manual removal as much as possible, cleaned skimmer, blackout begins at lights out (planning blackout until Friday AM)

Day 4 - AM 2ml 3% hydro per 10g

PM 1ml 3% hydro per 10g (total 3ml per 10g)

BLACKOUT day 1

Day 5 - AM 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g

PM 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g (total 3ml per 10g)

BLACKOUT day 2

Day 6 - AM 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g

BLACKOUT day 3

Day 7 - AM 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g

PM - planning 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g (total 3ml per 10g)

BLACKOUT ended, tank reopened 

And I continued to hyrdogen peroxide treatment for 2+ wks in total, tweaking to 1.5ml per 10g twice daily after getting some advice along the way...so I treated for a little over a week after my blackout period. Not a trace of them now - zero!

This is what I did on my 90g tank when I had dinos earlier this year. I followed some other trusted members' advice and it worked well. Dosing common hydrogen peroxide in the right percentages did the trick and my dinos were pretty darn bad. I wouldn't think you'd need to do more than 2-3ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10g (probably just fine on the low end) each day in total...the good news is you're treating for something you're worried about versus something you're seeing...right?

manual removal as much as possible, cleaned skimmer, blackout begins at lights out (planning blackout until Friday AM)

Day 4 - AM 2ml 3% hydro per 10g

PM 1ml 3% hydro per 10g (total 3ml per 10g)

BLACKOUT day 1

PM 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g (total 3ml per 10g)

BLACKOUT day 2

Day 6 - AM 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g

PM 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g (total 3ml per 10g)

BLACKOUT day 3

Day 7 - AM 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g

And I continued to hyrdogen peroxide treatment for 2+ wks in total, tweaking to 1.5ml per 10g twice daily after getting some advice along the way...so I treated for a little over a week after my blackout period. Not a trace of them now - zero!

Any side effects from dosing 2x/day? I just got through a 5 day blackout and my tank was green for a few days. Been doing 2ml/g H2O2. Might try 2x 1.5ml/g.

I cleaned everything before I put it in my frag qt tank.  I have not seen any sign of Dino coming back do you think I should treat anyway?  Are they possibly just dormant because of possible lack of nutrients?  Corals all look awesome.

Thanks for all the info.

Ditch the frag plugs if possible, but it sounds like you're ok...coral QT sounds like it would ha e revealed issues.

(edited)

This is what I did on my 90g tank when I had dinos earlier this year. I followed some other trusted members' advice and it worked well. Dosing  common hydrogen peroxide in the right percentages did the trick and my dinos were pretty darn bad. I wouldn't think you'd need to do more than 2-3ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10g (probably just fine on the low end) each day in total...the good news is you're treating for something you're worried about versus something you're seeing...right?

Day 4 - AM 2ml 3% hydro per 10g

PM 1ml 3% hydro per 10g (total 3ml per 10g)

BLACKOUT day 1

BLACKOUT day 2

Day 6 - AM 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g

BLACKOUT day 3

Day 7 - AM 1.5ml 3% hydro per 10g

So when you did Blackout days 1,2 & 3, are they in between days 4&5, 5&6 and 6&7? In other words, are the blackout days actually day 5, 7 & 9 in the treatment?

Edited by tom39