I hate my iPhone pics...my corals deserve better!!

Reefer_Madness

So, I am not a camera guy or a person that wants to spend a bunch on camera with an acronym in front.  But I am mad enough at my photos that I need to do my due diligence and see what it would cost to do my corals justice.  They are very photogenic, but my iphone pics suck for the most part. 

Does anyone out there have suggestions for a camera that will take cool pics, but not cost a ton of money? I'm looking for personal experience.  Suggestions on everything I would need to take good pics would be much appreciated, I.E. filters, and such.  I have no idea about cameras, so feel free to explain like you are talking to a 5 year old.

FYI - I have tried the theater filter method with the gels.  Didn't work. 

FYI - I have tried the theater filter method with the gels.  Didn't work. 

Bummer that didn't work. I thought that Sam (L8 2 Rise) used the gels (kind of an orange color as I recall) with decent results. I've never tried it myself though. Have you got samples of your gel pictures?

Bummer that didn't work. I thought that Sam (L8 2 Rise) used the gels (kind of an orange color as I recall) with decent results. I've never tried it myself though. Have you got samples of your gel pictures?

I got the assortment pack that had 100s of colors. To be honest I only messed around with them for one evening. Maybe I should look up Sam's thread. I was going of another thread.

And this. Which led me to this.

In the second link, MikeC names four different filters that he recommended trying: L622, L624, L626 andL628 from https://www.pnta.com/lighting/gels/.  The "L" seems to correspond to products from Lee filters. I just found them on this page: http://www.pnta.com/lighting/gels/lee/?sort=featured&page=3

Try to use one of those light orange film filter and put over the phone camera? I also found that you can take phone pics without filter by turn down the blue light and powerheads.  

U can always buy a cheap DSLR on Craigslist and rent the high dollar 105mm macro on lumoid.com

It's only about $10/day to rent. Worth every penny

I was going to say perpendicular to the glass as probably one of the top three.

If you're off even a little, the pictures will be blurry.  You won't be able to tell until you open it and view it at full resolution.

I'm afraid there's no getting around having a good DSLR.  The sensor size and quality makes all the difference.  The point and shoots usually don't have a big enough sensor.  To be honest, I bought my DSLR just to shoot tank pics.  I haven't used it since the last tank pic.  For gatherings, everyday moments, the cell phone has pretty much taken over those tasks.

Really though, those pics are pretty good for phone pics.

The orange filters worked out good for me...its hard to get the pictures under blues though..which really pops out the color. Anyway, I suggest you try under lighter blue color with an orange filter. See if that helps.

the problem with using filters is that you are reducing the total amount of light hitting the sensor, which means you will have to use a wider aperture.  A wider aperture results in less clarity and you may also need to decrease the shutter speed, which also makes it harder to get sharp pictures.

You could probably find a used Nikon D90 for around $300.  Add a fast (f1.8) manual 50mm prime lens ($50 used) and I think you will be much happier with the results.

oh and use post processing to remove the excessive blue and you're golden!

Edited by chucelli

+1 on removing excessive blue. When I had my evergrows, I turned whites up 99%, 1% blue. Read past the particular post I linked above and you'll find great technique and camera/lens info from knowledgable users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to try using all the good advice you guys posted when my lights come on today. If I can get good pics from my gels that would be great. Sounds like my technique needed some refining. The only advice I can't use is turning my blues down. I have MH/T5 so the best I can do is turn T5s off and only use the Radiums. They are still blue heavy.

I'll post a couple pics today if I have luck.

the problem with using filters is that you are reducing the total amount of light hitting the sensor, which means you will have to use a wider aperture. A wider aperture results in less clarity and you may also need to decrease the shutter speed, which also makes it harder to get sharp pictures.

You could probably find a used Nikon D90 for around $300. Add a fast (f1.8) manual 50mm prime lens ($50 used) and I think you will be much happier with the results.

oh and use post processing to remove the excessive blue and you're golden!

Thanks for the camera info. Very insightful.

Unedited, just threw the camera in a dirty viewer. Not much to it. Turn down the blues with LEDs and no problems. I do love taking some nice macros with a DSLR though.

3a03f3eb7552a34d20f14348d9c7aab6.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Get rid of the iPhone. I switched to a Samsung S7 edge and the pictures are awesome.

25c582a22ce315415220579787a842ad.jpg

094916ee7543ca0a031571725ce99bda.jpg

5b540e643d6a65eea2946b172139a9e8.jpg

I agree, Samsung takes pictures so nice you won't need a dslr

I agree, Samsung takes pictures so nice you won't need a dslr

These guys know whats up :happy:  Androids for life

Ok I experimented a little more with the gels. With all lights on. Radiums, Actinic, Blue+, and AquaBlue+. I tried a couple different orange colors. I decided the gels CAN make iPhone pics better for sure. I just need to fine tune it. There are about 10 other shades of orange to try.

589d29fb5bc38fbf993e281d29c43755.jpg

2aff4e889f29afba1f231e1a36dae74b.jpg

e2960ca6f178a8e5131c1787390b320f.jpg

382bd92eeceb9ccfff6878d6ea8d6f47.jpg

4d68dfb8a47bbcc873edcc0c3c943504.jpg

These guys know whats up :happy: Androids for life

Knowing Josh I would assume they have photoshop in the android App Store. . THATS why his colors look good.

Haha nah I'm too lazy for that bruh!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Knowing Josh I would assume they have photoshop in the android App Store. . THATS why his colors look good.

LOL