HELP: REPLACEMENT BALLAST

Lowefx

I have a Current usa 48" Outer Orbit with 2x150w MH, I need to replace the ballast and I can't find a replacement. Please make any recommendations either factory or best brand that will work. Please keep in mind I need the same size as stock to fit in the housing. I am using double ended bulbs. I am also ordering from 1000bulbs.com so id like to make one order. Thanks in advance.

Ready, set, go!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I recommend searching ebay, or upgrade to (2) 250W ballast and run them external.

For what it's worth: Look for an ANSI M81 ballast that fits your size requirements. That's the kind of ballast that you need to drive a 150W MH DE (RC2) HID lamp like you've described. 

Moved topic from members discussion to general discussion and deleted the duplicate thread.

Ok, thanks for the info. I do not want to swap to 250w

250's are longer, wider and have a different connector at either end. That would have to be factored in if you did choose to go that direction.. 

Maybe in the future, not right now. I found that asni m81 for $90 and I'll need two. Any other less expensive options?

Is it currently a core and coil ballast or electronic? Electronic or canned ballasts cost more then open core and coil ballasts but don't provide better performance in my opinion. If you have the space look into a core and coil ballast as they tend to be cheaper. Ebay is normally a cheap place to get them.

(edited)

I'm not knowledgeable on electronic or canned, but I know my bulbs are HQI double ended bulbs. Does that help?

This was recommended for me https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/101029/BA-ICN2S54T35I.html

As well as https://premiumaquatics.com/products/ati-dimmable-54w-2-bulb-t5-ballast.html

Please advise

Edited by Lowefx

Both of those are for T5 fluorescent lamps so they will not work!!

Open your fixture and post a pic of what you have now so we can find a better match.

Edited by Coral Hind

Since you said you wanted to use 1000bulbs.com I've post these that might work from that site. They do not have M81 ballasts listed so these are M102. ANSI M102 is listed as a single ended lamp but they are electrically almost the same as an M81. THe M81 has a higher pulse voltage at starting because the bulb design allows it. The M102 have the slightly lower pulse voltage means the on a hot restrike the bulb will need to cool down a few minutes longer before restrike. Since we don't turn our tank lights off and on frequently this isn't a big issue.

Here are core and coil magnetic ballasts. You can see why they are named that by the copper coils around an iron core. Less expensive but take up more space, can have a hum to them, and can be heavy. Last longer than electronic ballast in my opinion.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/4tap-150-watt-metal-halide-ballasts/

F-can ballasts are core and coil ballasts secured in a tin housing that is filled with tar for protection and noise reduction.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5987/BS-MH0150F.html

Here are the electronic versions. One is even listed as ANSI code M81. They are more compact but pricey!

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/120-v-150-watt-metal-halide-ballasts/

I would look at the general age of your fixture and it might be easier and cost effective to get a new fixture over ballast replacement.

Shoot, you know what, I mixed up my threads. I'm replacing my t5 ballasts too. Sorry for the mistake. I will post pics asap

Both of those will fire your lamp. Just check specs on size to make sure they fit.

I plan on tearing apart my fixture this weekend. Pics to come...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here we go. I took a picture of both MH ballast. Not sure if they have been tampered with before I got the fixture, but as you can tell, they don't look the same.3c154ced3600a15e2c856ce5f87d4bb9.jpg13b228b9e5ea9e12478c28d7727cc799.jpgca23e7770b69c5da54d6997cdc6cd262.jpgec24b45898287d8672f9f913eff217b7.jpg87f208461ab60ecb5219075aecaf8d0c.jpga09077a372cb611a364e83cc00503885.jpg

I will be removing the PC'S and replacing them with T5's from other fixture.

Coral Hind please take a look.

Nice thread, but how did you mount the end connectors? Or did you buy replacements.

Yours is very clean. Mine is kind of rusted so I might take a sander to what I can reach.

Nice. I will check locally before ordering online

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Welp, just ordered all ballasts. The m81 at 1000bulbs was out of stock....so they made a suggestion that m142 will also work. Only a few $ more. https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/111365/BF-H7UNV150HBC.html

I'd like to get wiring started up this weekend, but I belive these parts won't be in until early next week.

I want to confirm the m142 will also work...anyone?

Edited by Lowefx

(edited)

Yeah, too committed, plus I need double. Thanks for the thought tho.

Edited by Lowefx