What type of algae is this?

rockstarta78

Sorry for the newbie question. Can someone please tell me what type of algae is this? This is almost like hair algae and blowing with the WaveMaker.

Thank you for your help.

bd63458bf712b597e9194aa7143ca6c2.jpg

Is this a brand new tank? It looks like you are just having a diatom bloom from the picture above. If it's waving with the wave maker, it's probably hair algae. I would check your phosphate levels especially if that is new dry rock as it can leak phosphates.

Is this a brand new tank? It looks like you are just having a diatom bloom from the picture above. If it's waving with the wave maker, it's probably hair algae. I would check your phosphate levels especially if that is new dry rock as it can leak phosphates.

He's probably right.  Stuff will grow and fade on brand new rock.  Lots of various things at various times.  It's part of the waiting process for a new tank and a frustrating one if it's your only/first tank.  I'd recommend not doing anything different to deal with it for a good long time, like months, but learning to use the test kits well is a good idea.

This is a new tank. It finished cycling in late January. For now I turned the lights off. I think it could be biatom. But does diatom has strings?

I have cyano in my tank that is more orange than red that looks a little like your picture.  At least I think it's cyano.  No idea what it is for sure, but it doesn't seem to be hurting stuff.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Maybe put some blue leg hermits and astrea snails on the rocks and see if anything eats it.  If they all die, then maybe it is dinoflagellates, but I hope not.

Hmm, if it has been running since January I guess I'd expect more junk growing on the rocks and the rocks to be a little more coralline covered and darker.  I figured it was only a couple of weeks old from the pic.  Does it blow off with a turkey baster?  What are you running for filtration?

The beer part sounds good. You'd think it'll be somewhat stable after 4 months. I also added TSBE pods recently. These algae showed up a week or so later. Wonder if these 2 events are even relayed.

I doubt addition of the pods are related to the algae showing up. These simple algae are just a natural part of the tank cycle and most tanks never loss them. Once the tank is cycled a clean up crew will help to keep things clean and larger forms of algae will out compete the diatoms for space and nutrients. Unfortunately, you may find yourself cleaning them off of the glass a couple times a week.

I had some algae like that after my tank had been running for about 3 months. even though I was using RODI water I started putting the recommended amount of Prime in when I was doing my water changes and it cleared up in about 3 weeks.  

I had some algae like that after my tank had been running for about 3 months. even though I was using RODI water I started putting the recommended amount of Prime in when I was doing my water changes and it cleared up in about 3 weeks.

You think I should start putting Prime?

Prime will not do anything to stop the algae. You might not like the look of it but it is natural and a part of the bio-system. There are currently or should be things in your system that will feed on that algae as part of the food chain. Welcome it and don't fight it. There will be many worse algae and other things to stress about later on.

It's hard to tell from your pictures if it's an algae even. It just looks like a brown film to me. It could be a film algae or it could be protein deposits from some sort of bacteria. It might even be the beginnings of dinos. Not sure. Do you have a more recent close-up picture with decent resolution?

Stuff like this is normally outcompeted by other stuff in a tank as it matures, so patience and good husbandry go a long way to finding your personal peace.