Once again: Begging for Bryopsis for Bethesda Meeting

mogurnda

I can't believe how much the gals are eating right now.  Until last week, my production had been keeping up, and ERC just dropped off some beautiful algae yesterday, but they are like a small herd of cows.  I am starting a second dedicated algae propagation tank, so if you have a good growth you would like to dump off, let me know.

that's a really neat photo and they look very different than in your original post in the other thread. very beautiful specimens. eager to see updates on their work!

Does hair algae work? I'm not sure if I can make it but if I can I'll harvest you some of this 35a92bbb61bfe8c764d32f45c89c1d93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

that's a really neat photo and they look very different than in your original post in the other thread. very beautiful specimens. eager to see updates on their work!

They're slurping away.  We'll see how quickly they can take care of the new mass of food.

Does hair algae work? I'm not sure if I can make it but if I can I'll harvest you some of this

The it looks like the babies eat it, but the adults won't seem to touch it.  Thanks, though.

Edited by mogurnda

I think we have that in our main tank around the overflows. We can try and bring some to the meeting.

I think we have that in our main tank around the overflows. We can try and bring some to the meeting.

That would be great.  Any little bit helps.

So it looks like they cleared that rock in about a week, is that correct? 

And questions about your project:  Are the primers you are using random primers or are they specific to a certain region that you know you can use to identify genus species differences? 

So it looks like they cleared that rock in about a week, is that correct? 

And questions about your project:  Are the primers you are using random primers or are they specific to a certain region that you know you can use to identify genus species differences? 

If you can find a way to keep them from being sucked into pumps, I might loan you a few while I am traveling this summer.  And yes, they cleared those zoanthids in a few days.  They eat like pigs, and are now enormous.

The primers are specific to the rbcL gene.  I designed primers for both Halimeda discoidea and Bryopsis plumosa (because I had identified both species, and because the sequence in available for both).  Turns out the reverse primer is identical for both species.  To geek out a little further, I used a pretty low annealing temp so that I would get product even if there were a few differences in sequence.  Rather than using the primers to figure out who's who, which can be a slow process, I will just send the amplified DNA off for sequencing and use the database to figure out the species.  It will be a little tricky for some species, but  sequencing is so cheap that I can mess around a bit.

Today, the students finally got to the point we have been aiming for all semester.  I knocked out a slug, snipped off a piece of parapodium, and they did an extraction and ran PCR.  Given how full they are of Bryopsis chloroplasts right now, we should get a nice signal.  Then I can be sure it will work on the Pacific species, E.  diomedea, when I am in Baja this summer.  Amazing that people are still just guessing at what they eat.

How did you knock it out?  With a tiny little hammer?

Isotonic MgCl2.   Molluscs are nice, in that they rapidly absorb whatever you soak them in.  If you replace all the other salts with MgCl2, impulse propagatioon and synaptic transmission stop, and they don't have a care in the world.  In the literature, it is called "relaxing" them.  

She woke up after about an hour, and did not seem too traumatized by the event.

Very interesting, looking forward to more updates on them and of course lots of pictures.

(edited)

Totally cool. So are these just the "procedure" slugs. The real interest is in the pacific species?

For this particular experiment, we are just working out kinks using E. clarki, because other people have already used them and we know what to expect.  This is helping in a huge way as we are assembling equipment and protocols for E. diomedea in Baja.  We only have five weeks down there, and are about 12 hours from molecular biology supplies.

When the fun experiments start (neurobiology and behavior), E. clarki will be the star of the show, because they can be obtained easily and I have been able to rear them.  

And if you need it I can bring you some bryopsis covered rock.

Yes!  More is better.

Very interesting, looking forward to more updates on them and of course lots of pictures.

You asked for it.

This is what a "relaxed" slug looks like.  Basically a frilly green pancake with rhinophores (a.k.a., bunny ears).

3463_relaxed_intact042716-1024x768.jpg

After surgery, a small divot on her left side (bottom).

3463_relaxed_surgery042716-1024x768.jpg

The next day, zooming around and looking for food.

3469_post_surgical042816-1024x683.jpg

We did not get a signal this time around, either because we did not take a big enough piece or (more likely) the mucus interfered with the extraction or PCR reaction.  It was really slimy and disgusting.  Other labs have figured out workarounds, so I need to write a few emails.

Edited by mogurnda

• 2 weeks later...

I have some bryopsis rocks I can bring you. Are you around Thursday during the day? 

I have some flexibility.  Sending PM.