"Stuff" floating around

jon_703

Not aure if this is normal or not. My water seems clear for the most part. I have the regular algae that'll show up on the glass which I clean. I have a little bit of hair algae which is going away thanks to the help of the snails.

I still have this stuff floating around. My skimmer is working fine and my Fluval 405 seems to be working but maybe not good enough? Not sure if I have to move the suction part for the filer up a little higher? Here is a picture. post-2635981-14589934821_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

i have this problem as well OP. i have brought it up on a couple of other forums and never got a good answer. I feel the the majority of the stuff i see never even gets colse to the overflow to make it into the sump. So i have bought some filter floss that im going to put in a media bag and just float in the DT. I will post if i see any improvement or not but hopefully folks will chime in with some ideas.

I have the same problem in my biocube. Made this out of a maxi jet. Pointed the outlet towards the overflow. Seems to be doing the job. Not the most beautiful in the tank, but thinking I can move it to the back chamber somehow.

post-2635875-0-60951000-1459000017_thumb.jpeg

Eta: it is a maxi jet, plastic bottle, piece of needlework canvas to keep the filter media from being sucked into the pump.

I am pretty sure a lot of my particulates are house dust (and the clowns fanning the sand ALL.THE.TIME.

I made a lid out of coroplast (like signs are made out of) and put that on when I vacuum/dust/do house work. Also use it after lights out.

Edited by SandJ

The first thing is to identify what it is. Could be sand if it has fine grains and is getting stirred up. Could be micro air bubbles from equipment (e.g filter). Could be the algae/detritus not getting mechanically filtered or settling in the tank.

It's hard to tell from the picture but I had a similar problem. For me it was micro bubbles from my skimmer. I started placing filter floss is the baffle of my sump between the skimmer and return sections and it cleared up a lot

The first thing is to identify what it is. Could be sand if it has fine grains and is getting stirred up. Could be micro air bubbles from equipment (e.g filter). Could be the algae/detritus not getting mechanically filtered or settling in the tank.

It's not sand. Looks like some are micro bubbles, so I will adjust my skimmer. The rest of it seems like dust?

The suction part where the filter sucks the water in is behind rocks. How far up from the bottom of the tank should it be?

If it's microbubbles from the skimmer, then you should see bubble coming from your skimmer return. If it's from your canister filter, then you'll see bubbles coming from the return there as well. 

How long has the tank been set up? Do you have a sand bottom and, if so, did you rinse the sand well before putting it in the tank?

If it's microbubbles from the skimmer, then you should see bubble coming from your skimmer return. If it's from your canister filter, then you'll see bubbles coming from the return there as well.

How long has the tank been set up? Do you have a sand bottom and, if so, did you rinse the sand well before putting it in the tank?

Tanks been up for about 4 months. I didn't rinse the sand. And don't see bubble coming from filter or skimmer.

If it's not micro bubbles it's just leftover "stuff" coral waste, bio degraded matter, poop, dust etc. etc. filter floss will get it. If you don't run that like me then it eventually settles in dead spots for you to siphon out.

Tanks been up for about 4 months. I didn't rinse the sand. And don't see bubble coming from filter or skimmer.

How far from the sand bed should the intake of the fluval be?