Any Dentists out there?

Leishman

I was having a root canal earlier in the week and needed an impression made, the 'goo' used in the mold took 90 seconds to set and made me think it would be a great medium for mounting frags. Dries in wet environment, non toxic (I hope) and workable long enough to mount a frag.

I looked it up and found this:

http://www.practicon.com/item/vaccu-sil-heavy-body-impression-material/7090117?src=1000069&gclid=CMiA1biiucsCFdgHgQod5XkCaA

Just need the 'gun' to mix the two parts and off you go.

Questions:

-Reef safe?
-leach phosphates?
-etc

Any professionals out there have any input?

Probably won't find anyone that knows.  Even the dentist stuff might not be reef safe.  All kinds of stuff goes in people mouths that would not be good for a reef tank.

I was having a root canal earlier in the week and needed an impression made, the 'goo' used in the mold took 90 seconds to set and made me think it would be a great medium for mounting frags. Dries in wet environment, non toxic (I hope) and workable long enough to mount a frag. ... Any professionals out there have any input?

I don't know offhand, BUT I have a father who's an orthodontist and a brother who's a dentist, and I can check with them. I don't know if they'll be able to answer how the alginate (sp?) is likely to perform in salt water  :why: , but it never hurts to ask. 

Edited by LCDRDATA

Is alginate made from seaweed?  If so, it seems like it would be fine for a reef. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alginic_acid

As it turns out, you're correct - one of the main components of the alginate/hydrocolloid impression material is sodium alginate, derived from seaweed. I also heard back from my dad, and while this is what he used for his impressions, unfortunately he didn't have any real insight in whether it would be reef safe. However, according to Alginate impressions: A practical perspective, one of the other components is trisodium phosphate. Although it reacts completely while setting to product calcium phosphate, I think there's at least the potential to leach phosphates from the final product, although I can't quantify the likelihood. I should add that based on the mixing requirements I don't think this is the same material as the original post linked to. Still waiting on input from my brother.

Edited by LCDRDATA

It's a health product which means it will be 5x the price of a normal product. Superglue works just fine until they manufacture this stuff for Reefers. My mom is a dental hygentist I'll ask