TDS readings

aquamom

Didn't you mention you just bought it? I assumed et was new....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see now that you're no municipal water. Make sure that you're taking your water sample directly from the DI output using a clean, well rinsed container. Also, take that TDS reading of the water coming out of the RO membrane (before the DI stage) after you've allowed it to run a few minutes.

Ok I'll check it again out of the RO. Yes, I have only had it for 2 1/2 months. At the most making 10-20 gallons a week I'd say. I went ahead and ordered new filters and DI resin. Hopefully the RO membrane will be ok. I'm going to run out and get some distilled water in a bit. And I may just get a booster pump to help things out.

Since you're going to get the distilled water, put some in whatever container you're using to test your RO/DI output and measure the TDS. It should be zero.

It's possible that your house pressure may be low because your regulator is turned down in the house rather than the pressure being low in the neighborhood. A booster pump can also help.

Ok, thanks! Maybe I should look for the regulator then to see.

You can, but there's risk in increasing the pressure if the plumbing can't take it. Just be aware of that. The home that I had in Ashburn was newer and the pressure was set at around 50 psi. I boosted it to 70 psi from the regulator since the plumbing was all copper and relatively new. The extra cost of a booster pump may be well worth keeping things the same.

Ok, actually I'm pretty confident that the plumbing here is from the Stone Ages. Thanks for that. I'll look into the booster.

I get about 45-50psi in nova area.

Maybe it's lower here because the plumbing is older I'm not sure because my brother lives across town and has much better pressure.

So just a quick update, I ordered a new sediment and carbon filter as well as a new resin which arrived today. Popped them in and the TDS was down to 1 within 5 minutes. I'm pretty happy about that! Looks like the membrane is still in good shape. Thanks to all who weighed in!

Glad to hear and happy to help.  1 TDS may be acceptable because of the hand-held meter.  Inline ones stay clean.  Could be a little something in the container being used to measure using the hand-held meter.

That could be it. I'll keep an eye on it in any case and if it creeps up I'll go ahead and order a new membrane. The psi was higher as well. Right around 50 now. Thanks again

New resin will always clean things up. However, if you have high TDS going into the resin, it will exhaust much more quickly. The key is to have low TDS going into the resin stage. Otherwise things can get very expensive very quickly.

• 1 month later...

Is your RODI equiped with a RO flush valve? (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/membrane-flush-valve.html) If not, you may want to consider adding one. Flushing the RO membrane a the start of each use would greatly increase the life of the membrane and help with the high numbers. Also, as many have said prior, having a higher pressure coming in will aid in the reduction of TDS and also increase the life of the membrane. The description in the link recommends an operation pressure of 50-60psi (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/75-gpd-reverse-osmosis-membrane-dow-filmtec.html)

IME with my setup, the pressure entering my RODI averages about 65psi and has a TDS of 95-100. I flush the membrane for the first 3-5min every time I use it and I never make less than 65g of water at a time. My TDS coming out of my membrane is 1-2TDS and it is 3+ years old. Additionally, because of the low TDS coming out of the membrane I am able to make about 500-700g of water before I exhaust a DI cartridge.

Hope it helps  

Is your RODI equiped with a RO flush valve? (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/membrane-flush-valve.html) If not, you may want to consider adding one. Flushing the RO membrane a the start of each use would greatly increase the life of the membrane and help with the high numbers. Also, as many have said prior, having a higher pressure coming in will aid in the reduction of TDS and also increase the life of the membrane. The description in the link recommends an operation pressure of 50-60psi (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/75-gpd-reverse-osmosis-membrane-dow-filmtec.html)

IME with my setup, the pressure entering my RODI averages about 65psi and has a TDS of 95-100. I flush the membrane for the first 3-5min every time I use it and I never make less than 65g of water at a time. My TDS coming out of my membrane is 1-2TDS and it is 3+ years old. Additionally, because of the low TDS coming out of the membrane I am able to make about 500-700g of water before I exhaust a DI cartridge.

Hope it helps

I run a booster pump at 80psi and also have 2yr old membranes and get 1-2tds and flush at startup and about every hour or two and fill up anywhere from 30-70g at a time. Although the difference is I only get about 100-200g out of a single DI cartridge and I compact the H-E-double hockey sticks out of it when refilling. I believe this is due to me being on well water and high co2 levels that deplete resin like it's going out of style. I could run the RO into a container and and let the co2 gas out then run through DI. But I don't have that much time or space.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I run a booster pump at 80psi and also have 2yr old membranes and get 1-2tds and flush at startup and about every hour or two and fill up anywhere from 30-70g at a time. Although the difference is I only get about 100-200g out of a single DI cartridge and I compact the H-E-double hockey sticks out of it when refilling. I believe this is due to me being on well water and high co2 levels that deplete resin like it's going out of style. I could run the RO into a container and and let the co2 gas out then run through DI. But I don't have that much time or space.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep. Same issue that I have on a well. High CO2 is the culprit that burns out our DI resin.

Is your RODI equiped with a RO flush valve? (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/membrane-flush-valve.html) If not, you may want to consider adding one. Flushing the RO membrane a the start of each use would greatly increase the life of the membrane and help with the high numbers. Also, as many have said prior, having a higher pressure coming in will aid in the reduction of TDS and also increase the life of the membrane. The description in the link recommends an operation pressure of 50-60psi (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/75-gpd-reverse-osmosis-membrane-dow-filmtec.html)

IME with my setup, the pressure entering my RODI averages about 65psi and has a TDS of 95-100. I flush the membrane for the first 3-5min every time I use it and I never make less than 65g of water at a time. My TDS coming out of my membrane is 1-2TDS and it is 3+ years old. Additionally, because of the low TDS coming out of the membrane I am able to make about 500-700g of water before I exhaust a DI cartridge.

Hope it helps

Hi, nope I don't have a flush valve but I agree that it should probably be on my list of things to get. I moved the unit and the PSI is a little higher now, a little over 45.

I appreciate all of the input offered. Especially since I'm not very handy with these things (that's why the 125 I had picked up a few months ago is still sitting there wondering when I'm going to figure out how to plumb it for set up ) I think I'll try to get a booster pump as well when possible. Little by little!

Thanks guys for all your help!