Ca Reactor

mutley29

Right

I'm at present using ESV B-Ionic for CA and Alk, and though i've only been doing this a short while it's starting to burn an unnecessary hole in my already thread bare pocket, that's what working for HMG does for you,

The next logical step is Dripping Kalk or some sort of Calcium Reactor, now, i have only scratched the surface of info on these badboys, and not needing a headache, as i already have one, was wondering if you guys could enlighten me to the pro's and con's of them

looking at Kalk dripping i would have to mix up fresh batches every couple of days to keep pace, my system specs are here: http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43430.

Any help would be appreciated.

as this is yet another piece of expensive equipment

Thanx

Anton  [hih]

Probably the best for your system (LPS, Soft's and Clams) would be a Kalk reactor and a dosing pump.  The CA Reactors are great, but IMO it's better start with the Kalk and add the CO2 reactor if you cant keep your Alk/Ca levels high enough.  The added bonus is that the dosing pump will automate your top off so you can leave on trips in relative comfort knowing your salinity will stay constant.

There are some real nice units for a couple hundred dollars, or you can DIY for much, much less.

HTH

Glenn R

Anton,

If you have the space, all you need is a bucket (I use a 5 gallon container), tubing and a valve to control the drip.  I drip 2 gallons a day in my 125 and I have been able to maintain my parameters without any problems.

Eddi

I use a 30g trash can and a float switch I wired up from grainger.

I mix up the Kalk and let it fill itself as it needs it 24/7.

It's pumped by an Aquaclear 802

I dose about 3gpd @ about 1 cup per dose.

The best part: It was fun making and the switch, outlet and wire was under $20.

If you need a stir plate, I have an extra in the basement- catch is that you need to have a totally flat bottom on the vessel- AND you need to pick it up at our next meeting

as this is yet another piece of expensive equipment

How do you do your topoff now? The simplest way (IMHO) is to simply add kalk to your topoff water. I use a float switch to keep up with evap & the makeup water is a saturated solution. If kept saturated there is little precipitation. If you need more then you can add vinegar to the water to get more kalk disolved.

I have a tiny tank & the topoff is only 5gallons. The process is:

1. Fill top off tank

2. Mix 1/2tsp kalk to 1qt water & 5ml vinegar

3. Add to topoff tank

4. About once a week I repeat 2 & 3 (can do more often)

I end up cleaning the topoff tank about every 2 months, though often it isn't really needed.

A kalk reactor is an option, but really the only advantage over using it the makeup water is that you can dump a bunch in at a time & let it run.

By far the best technology is the CA reator, not only do you add CA but you also add all the natural trace elements. Though I wouldn't call it expensive, it's not cheap. The biggest investment will be the CO2 tank, regulator, and needle valve. The reactor itself is a relatively simple device that can be built for under $100.

At the moment i top off, with a measuring jug, and dump it in my sump when i get home from work, and before i go to bed with my B-Ionic, just haven't had the money to get my auto top-off sorted, i have a Kent Maxima 24gpd RO/DI, i would have to split it between my water change 50 gallon dustbin, and the sump for top-off, i might do it this week as have just ordered some new ro/di filters, depends how far away i'm dragged this easter weekend (sigh).

Will try to keep in mind the need forthe addition of reactors and the like. :D

I made my own kalk reactor for about 60-70 bucks.  It is connected to an elevated 30 gal. trash can.  My set up is all gravity fed.  No pumps required.  I just use a ball valve to adjust drip rate.  I drip about 2-3 gallons a day in my 125g.  Only job I have to do is fill the reactor with kalk maybe every 3 weeks.  Thats all.

Try E-bay for a dosing pump, you can also search medical pump, feeding pump and so forth.  They are in their original usage for medical purposes.  Let me know how you like the reactor.

Anton,

Here is a link to a company that sells refurbished dosing pumps.  There are two main limitations: 1) you need to check the tubing (the part that goes through the rotating wheel) every week as eventually it will tear and leak; 2) since they are medical pumps, their output is limited.  I had one sometime ago and the most it could drip was either 2 or 3 gallons/day (I can't remember which).

Link: http://www.reef-aquarium.com/

Anton,

I'm no expert on dosing pumps, but one feature I do not like on the dosing pump you linked is the fact that it functions at a set rate or .8gph.  The ones with buttons -n- stuff you can vary the rate.  I evaporate about 1 1/2 gallons a day, so I'd want to spread my top off over the day if I could.  

There are some of the medical pumps that can be set to drip continuosly, as eddi said some will only be able to do up to a certain limit.... like 9999 on the display or whatever.  This is a question you would probably want to run by the seller.  i.e. "Can the doser be operated continuously?"  The tubing can also be a variable some will last a long time (years) others not so long.  I have read if you lubricate it, they will last much longer.  You can also use different tubing types to get higher or lower rates out of the dosing pumps... I hope I didn't confuse you too much.  There are just a few things to consider that you might want to research or look into.

A float switch, a powerhead, and a container don't look as neat but allows to save for a CA reactor.

My switch allows about a cup to be added at a time as it needs it (as it evaporates) several times a day for a total of 3gpd.

OK, now to really p*ss you guys off

I've seen the light on Ca Reactors, and am gonna get one of those soonish??

What exactly do i need to get for a 180 tank, and i need a break down coz i always forget something or don't read the small print and find everything has to be put on hold until i get the bit they've just sold out of.

i know i need to get a regulator, do i need the cylinder as well?, how do i go about setting it up?.

I know these are dumbass questions but, when i started work in the engineering industry i was told "if in doubt, ASK" so i am

Have only been here a short time but you guy's have been a great help to me already, Thanks

Anton

Ps, i was also told "measure twice cut once", just wish i could remember it when i need it,LOL   o-

Guest tgallo

they are not dumb questions .

yes you need a regulator and i would also invest in a 10lb co2 tank, premium aquatics is a good online vendor or you could try the reef tank in va, im sure they could order a setup for you.

a quality calcium reactor would be a geo reactor, premium aquatics has them also, and for the price, there a steal.

as far as setting one up, there easy to do and im sure one of the guys local to you woulden't mind coming over and giving you a hand.

you mite also want to go over one of the members home and see one in action, visuals are great, lol.reactor_124502.jpg