Brain Coral

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4
I bought a green brain coral about a month ago and about a week after I got it it started looking brown.  Now, it is just about on the verge of death.  I have looked at night for predators and have found none.  I have checked all my water parameters and they are perfect.  The tank is about 8 months old and I am just completely out of ideas.  What could be the reason for its demise?

Guest clownfish4
Don't think so.  He is at the bottom in a shaded lagoon area and my fish eat all their food in about 15 seconds and I have excellent water parameters.

Guest clownfish4
Double strip power compact.  65w daylight and 65w acetnic.  I add phyoplankton and B-Ionic.

hmmm, id say try moving him up a little bit, give it a day or two.  But i think that really you should be able to keep him in the sand bed, and try adding some zooplankton, when i add this all the corals go crazy the pom pom start pulsing to where i dont need powerheads for water movement

Robert

From personal experience, I would say this open brain may be starving to death.  Not a lighting issue.

Corals with mouths need to be target fed directly so they get enough to eat.

I use a turkey baster and shoot some of my home made coral chow on this guy when he opens up at night.  My red/pink open brain went from bleached and dying to fat and healthy after about a month of feeding.

This applies to fungia, open brains, others that have visible mouths.

s

What do you feed him?

Check it out...

Michael's Tank Food recipe

Ever heard of the "Bass-O-Matic" from Saturday Night Live w/Dan Akroyd?

Stinky, but the corals LOVE this stuff...

I'm also using Cyclopeze and find the corals really love that too.  A range of foods is best, though flake is not really a good idea ('cept maybe for Spirulina flake).  Too much phosphorus in the traditional marine flake foods.  Not to say don't use 'em, as I do feed them, just sparingly.

s

Guest clownfish4
Well, I had a Chromis die today and somehow it ended up in my brain's mouth.  So, the brain devoured the little guy.  Now for my question, can I feed my brain frozen feeder fish?  If so, how often?

Guest clownfish4
Ok, I have a bunch of those....how often should I feed him?

Clownfish4.... Do you have any idea of the species? Do you have any pictures? There has been major issues with Trachyphylliadae "brain corals" over the past year depending on the supplier/shipper.

The Wellsophyllia (trachy family as well) has not been as suceptible to brown jelly.IME I would not go back to trachys but will do the Wellsophyllia anytime :)

I do not feed the "hobby tank" tank anything on a regular basis, but once a month I usually use what is called Selcon.

Rich- I'd thought you would have known that wesophyllia is no longer a valid species.  Both are trachophyllia.  :p   Got to love how charlie v. loves to keep us confused!  We could really use a photo here- the browning may just be an increase in zooxanthlae- or it could be diseased (do a google search for "brown jelly disease").  does the tissue look plump and healthy?

Hi Michael,

I know he put the Wells back into trachy again, darnit! But they are still shipping as wellsophyllia which helps to "classify" them differently on the hobbyside :) I brought two out to the event, and when I mentioned the whole genus regrouping some of the hobbyists looked at me like I was nuts, so I just said it was a Wellsophyllia (used to be in Trachyphylliadae, then Wellsophyllia, then past 6 months back into Trachy confused some people :)

Please post a pic if you can, or find a similar pic of the species online. I am guessing it is Brown Jelly like Michael described, more likely due to tissue injury when handling or shipping.

[Ever heard of the "Bass-O-Matic" from Saturday Night Live w/Dan Akroyd?

QUOTE] i do  sik he even drank the stuff didnt he?!! gary

Guest clownfish4
I will try to get a pic up soon.  Mike, from the Reef Tank, said that it is probably a parasite disease and to give him a quick freshwater dip.  However, he said I would probably lose about half of it but that it would regenerate.  He looks more open and full now that he ate the chromis, but the disease area doesn't seem to look any better.

Somehow I do not agree with the "easy to keep" part from Drs foster/smith.  You really have to feed these guys.  Other than that, I like 'em 'cuz they are pretty and they change a lot from night to day.  Makes them an interesting beasty in the tank.

s

Anyone have any maze brains? I like tham but the lfs sells them for 80 DOLLARS crazy.  They are my favorite lps(i think that its a lps) anyone have a frag.

by thw way Clownfish did you ever figure out what happened?

Robert

Steve,

I would have to respectfully disagree with you.  I have several brains of all different kinds (trach, maze, scolymia, lobo, cyanaria) in both of my tanks, I have never directly fed them and they are doing very, very well.  I have a scolymia in my 125 that when fully extended after I feed the tank must be 12"-14" in width and 4"-5" in height.  I have it next to a cyanaria and it simply dwarfs it (I have a pictue in the gallery).  I simply dop them in and forget them.  If only all corals were  that easy!

I have had more than my share of problems, but never with any of the brains.  Of course, now that I said that...