whats going on with my blonde naso

hlem

This is a new fish, currently in QT for observation. I know its none of the known white spot illness such ich, velvet or such because its not contagious since it is housed with few other fish. i know it is not hurting or stressing it since it is eating more than i first got it. all other fish are eating better than when i first got them too. so what is it? whats going on?

last week when i first got it

IMG_0242.JPG

Today

IMG_0261.JPG

Edited by hlem

You sure it's not ick? the ick may not have reached its contagious life cycle yet. Or the other fish could have immune systems that are temporarily overcoming it. The spots shown could be a fungal infection secondary to ick.

I'm not 100% sure it's not ick. But I have had plenty of fish with ick before and it's nothing like this. As fungal infection, I'm not sure either, but from google search of images of fungal infection does not seems close to it.

definitely a fungus.  I would say use some dr g's anti fungal food and minimum of 2x feedings per day.  supplement with Thera a+ pellets via auto feeder throughout the day.  And try to make him as stress free as possible. 

definitely a fungus.  I would say use some dr g's anti fungal food and minimum of 2x feedings per day.  supplement with Thera a+ pellets via auto feeder throughout the day.  And try to make him as stress free as possible. 

i feed them 4-5 times day. where can i get some dr g's

Does it look like a fungus on top of it's skin or are his scales themselves white? Stress color maybe? Or scratches?

I looked up fungus photos on google, and most of the time, it will look as if there is coat of slime coming off. but this does not have any sign of that. it's purely skin discoloration.

i have isolated him to copper him just incase it's something. 

Edited by hlem

i have isolated him to copper him just incase it's something.

I would avoid copper as I do not see evidence of external parasites which are the only things it can help with. it is great that it has continued to eat well despite whatever its malady. keep it well feed on the high quality foods and in pristine water conditions in qt. as long as it is eating dr. g's can help but dosing and proper intake of the correct amount of foods is quite difficult to ascertain and disease from ingesting too much is also an issue. treatment in a hospital tank with broad spectrum antibiotics that will also take care of gram negative issues is your best bet if there is no improvement to avoid further demise and increase your chances at regaining his health and fight whatever onset of this issue he has.

Maybe lymphocystis? That's viral I believe. There are very few true marine fungal infections. If it looks like it's getting worse, then yes, broad spectrum ABs are probably the way to go.

Do you have a link or know of places I can get some?

Do you have a link or know of places I can get some?

amazon, marinedepot, drs f&s - you can run a combo of metronidazole (metroplex), kanamycin (kanaplex), and nitrofurazone (furan-2) or try API general cure for a metro/prazi combo med on it's own in the future prophylactically.

here is a good primer by bobby - http://reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/

Lymph also looks like raised fungus/bumps. It's also only contagious within specific groups, like my chalk bass couldn't pass it on to my other fish. And it's not something to stress over.

If it's just skin discoloration, and he's eating well, I'd just wait and see how it develops. Tangs are weird with their skin colors, and I vaguely remember my big blonde doing this. I'm not a fan of copper either, it's pretty harsh and kills their appetite.

amazon, marinedepot, drs f&s - you can run a combo of metronidazole (metroplex), kanamycin (kanaplex), and nitrofurazone (furan-2) or try API general cure for a metro/prazi combo med on it's own in the future prophylactically.

here is a good primer by bobby - http://reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/

any specific brand product you recommend?

Unfortunately, the naso did not make it. It was still eating and picking on things until yesterday morning. but by evening time, it was on its side...I tried fungal medicine as mentioned above as well, but to no affect. 

Fortunately, none of the my fish that were housed with it show any sign of anything. They're all eating very well still.