Feeding baby clams

YHSublime

So I took the challenge of adding x2 maximas to my 6 gallon fluval edge. They are both tiny, and will require feedings, and I'm not 100% sure where to start, so this is my plan, and I'd like to hear thoughts.

The opening to the fluval is very small, and I would rather not take the clams out every day to feed in a separate dish, plus this would stress them out. The nano consists of 2 clowns, a cleaner shrimp, lots of brittle stars, some hermits, snails, zoanthids, 2 RBTA's, and of course, the clams. The filtration is setup with a sponge, ceramic media, and a bag of carbon. I do water changes once a month.

I was thinking about getting some Kent Phytoplex and dosing the whole tank every two days, and seeing how long it took the clams to filter the water. I figured it can't hurt anything, and I have strong lighting (XHO reefbrite) across the top.

I had briefly discussed this idea with Tom, but was wondering if anybody out there had some thoughts, or better ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a small clam about 3-4 inches. I took an old plastic 16 oz water bottle and cut off the bottom. I drop that over and squirt food inside the screw top. I then remove it once the water inside is clear. Seem to be keeping my clam... happy as a clam!

I have a small clam about 3-4 inches. I took an old plastic 16 oz water bottle and cut off the bottom. I drop that over and squirt food inside the screw top. I then remove it once the water inside is clear. Seem to be keeping my clam... happy as a clam!

Not enough space to play that game. I can barely get my hand in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always find some hard plastic tubes cut to length and stretch one end with a blowdryer if needed. That helps target feed them at least and it wont take up much room.

I would try culturing your own phyto. And going that route. The bottled stuff is dead "platonic like" material and not actually phyto.

I'd rather not culture phyto at work... But probably could...

You could always find some hard plastic tubes cut to length and stretch one end with a blowdryer if needed. That helps target feed them at least and it wont take up much room.

Yes. I could. I'm wondering about my theory of filling 6 gallons with phyto and letting the clams filter it. Ok, maybe not that much,but you get my drift?

I have reef roids. Do clams eat or filter reef roids?

I'd rather not culture phyto at work... But probably could...

Do it at home and take it into work?

I have reef roids. Do clams eat or filter reef roids?

They wont eat reef roids as its too large.