LED lighting and Zoa colors

mling

When you visit a LFS, the lighting they have on their frag display is optimized to best display the colors of the frags, particularly the Zoas.  So I am a little tired of buying what I think is a really cool looking colored Zoa and then bring it home and find that it does not look anything like what I saw at the LFS with my lights (LED - blue and white). It only looks that way with only the blue LEDs on, i.e. moon light.

Before I spend the big bucks on a milti channel LED light with different colors, it is true that with such an LED light I can adjust the intensity of the colors to effectively change how Zoas and other corals appear in my tank ?

Ask your LFS to turn off the blue before you buy to see the natural color under white light.  I can adjust my led to any percent of white vs blue I choose.  So if you get a decent led fixture you will be able to also

I have an LED light. While doing some research on them I learned that not all LED lights have the adjustable channels. If you are looking for a new light to get those colors like the LFS then I would make sure it says it. As for the buying them I agree with Keraxis. Ask them to turn them down. I have been burned by the same situation before.

I have an LED light. While doing some research on them I learned that not all LED lights have the adjustable channels. If you are looking for a new light to get those colors like the LFS then I would make sure it says it. As for the buying them I agree with Keraxis. Ask them to turn them down. I have been burned by the same situation before.

I am thinking of getting the Radion XR30w Pro G2 http://ecotechmarine...on/radion-xr30w,  does that have adjustable channels ?

My Apex has a profile for it that kind of suggest that I can adjust the channels.

That was out of my price range so I didnt research that.  :tongue:

Actually it is probably going to be out of mine price range too if I need 2 !     Kind of why I want to know what it can / cannot do before I take up a 2nd mortgage  :clap:

I have a 156G.

What did you end up getting ? 

Did your research come up with a more reasonably price LED ?

I originally had the it2040 then my tank grew from a 37 to a 90 and got another, then sold those and got the it2080. Ive had that for over a month now and my corals are still adjusting. I do get some sweet colors from them though. Growth is definitely slower than the MH though.

I had a 40 with a photon over it which grew everything I wanted but ACANs.... never did figure that one out.  My 125 Iam building is getting a IT2080 with my Photon and my frag now has a kessil.  

Ive noticed going from 2 it2040's to 1 it2080 was a big difference. Just more power going in. where would you have your photon? You worried about different light patterns? Thats what happened with my 2 it2040's.

You could always get a T5 fixture and a Blue Stunner strip and use your apex to control that for half the cost of Radions. Then you will have the best of both worlds.. In My Opinion

Ill put my photon on the left.  Ill probably keep most my sps on the right with the larger light and make my photon light a zoa island.  Not to sure yet what Iam doing with the corals.  I am picking up 13 at frag fest.  mix of zoa and monti

There are alot of things you can do on ecotech radion light. it has white, red, green, yellow, uv, blue, royal blue...ect. It can be programmed directly thru USB or wirelessly (reeflink). It can be programmed for cloudy day, thunderstorm, sun set, and many more.

So I guess my best bet would be the EcoTech Radion.  That's what the speaker at yesterday's meeting uses too. Based on that talk, it sounds like it is "What you see is what you pay for"   !!

How many would you guys suggest for a 156 gallon ( L60", W24", H25 ).  Should I get the single Radion with 2 lights or 2 separate single ones?  Or do I need more ?

Here's what my tank looks like, with LR in the middle so that fishes can do laps around the tank

156G noBTA

Since you have a hood I would consider the addition of 2 T5 bulbs to supplement the Radions (or any LED you end up with).  A T5 retro can be bought for almost nothing, and it would balance out the tank nicely to avoid any shadowing. 

Since you have a hood I would consider the addition of 2 T5 bulbs to supplement the Radions (or any LED you end up with).  A T5 retro can be bought for almost nothing, and it would balance out the tank nicely to avoid any shadowing. 

If you look closely, you would notice that this Ocean setup is missing the top lid of the hood -> it caught fire and nearly burned down the house !  After a year of using a retro T5 setup, it just caught fire and lucky for me, my neighbor was home and extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher, all corals and fishes gone but, surprise, surprise, the maroon clown survived (still alive today) ! -> that was over 5 years ago and my wife made me promise not to use any more retro T5 .......   

Good news is that it is now easier to justify the big bucks !!    :clap:    Might still need more help for justifying 2 sets of Radions though since I believe that would run over $1000. :cool: