Don't get overconfident with SPS.......

Reefer_Madness

A word of advice.  Don't get overconfident when things are going "perfect" in your tank.  Reality checks are not far behind.

I did so much research and got so much advice when setting up my tank, that I apparently got relaxed.  Everything was growing like weeds, colors were ridiculous, and everyone was happy.  Corals were beautiful.  I took my setup very seriously and was very patient. No changes without a lot of research and back checking advice I received.  My newest tank is about 8 months old and I had never had any issues.....until a couple of weeks ago.  I made a combination of mistakes that compounded and cost me dearly.  Looking back, I am very disappointed in myself. 

I guess I needed this reality check to make me realize the reef tank owns me.......not the other way around.  From this point forward I am just going to hold on the reigns and try to stay on for the ride. 

(edited)

I wanted to polish my water a little and decided to get a small BRS reactor for carbon/gfo. I didn't do enough research. I bleached a bunch of SPSs with an alk burn.

Stupid me. I didn't realize it was something I should really keep an eye on. Came home to a bunch of white corals.

Edited by Reefer_Madness

What's the relationship between carbon and alkalinity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let me guess.  

First time user of an aggressive GAC such as Rox quickly strips water column of organics.  Reduced nutrients coupled with increased light intensity caused sensitive corals to bleach and shut down.  The shut down will cause alkalinity to increase, thus burnt tips.  GAC and GFO can quickly upset the balance and cause serious problems.

Run 25% of the recommended dosage.

Let me guess.

First time user of an aggressive GAC such as Rox quickly strips water column of organics. Reduced nutrients coupled with increased light intensity caused sensitive corals to bleach and shut down. The shut down will cause alkalinity to increase, thus burnt tips. GAC and GFO can quickly upset the balance and cause serious problems.

That was Ducati fast.....your explanation was about as quick as my nutrient reduction!

That is exactly what happened.

Yup  carbon will do that.  My recommendation if you want to polish the water is run 1/8 the recommended dosage of Ozone into the air intake of your skimmer.  Has a similar effect without nuking your sps.  I had 3 buddies do this in the past 2 weeks.

Let me guess.  

First time user of an aggressive GAC such as Rox quickly strips water column of organics.  Reduced nutrients coupled with increased light intensity caused sensitive corals to bleach and shut down.  The shut down will cause alkalinity to increase, thus burnt tips.  GAC and GFO can quickly upset the balance and cause serious problems.

BINGO !!!!!

Let me guess.

First time user of an aggressive GAC such as Rox quickly strips water column of organics. Reduced nutrients coupled with increased light intensity caused sensitive corals to bleach and shut down. The shut down will cause alkalinity to increase, thus burnt tips. GAC and GFO can quickly upset the balance and cause serious problems.

Good to know, I'm getting ready for this route soon, carbon that is. Nice explanation.

Good to know, I'm getting ready for this route soon, carbon that is. Nice explanation.

run it at 1/4 the dosage if you are "polishing" your water

Looks like my complete 100% losses are:

Purple Monster

Red Dragon

ORA Birds of Paradise

Forest Fire Digi

Garf Bonsai

Most were frags doing well, except for the last two that were colonies....

Looks like my complete 100% losses are:

Purple Monster

Red Dragon

ORA Birds of Paradise

Forest Fire Digi

Garf Bonsai

Most were frags doing well, except for the last two that were colonies....

NOOOOOOOOOOOO  PURPLE MONSTER!!!!!!   (sorry this is like my holy grail of acros  :P)

I got your back with forest fire and birds of paradise so that's 40% back!!!

Mike and Jason - Very generous offer, but I am going to wait for a while until everything gets back to normal.  I don't want to risk it until I am 100% positive that I am back on track.  I'm going to take it slow for a couple of weeks.

Not to throw the thread track, but I've got to say that threads like this are great for newbies like me -- for two reasons...

The first is kind of obvious:  a great opportunity to learn from the experiences -- both good and bad -- of others.

But the second may not be so obvious:  knowing this kind of support, experienced insight, and generosity is offered by members of the community in times of trouble or mishap goes a long way toward giving a extra little boost of confidence to someone who is still a bit on the fence over whether or not to take the plunge and join the hobby.

Sorry to hear about the hiccup you've encountered Ben, thanks for posting about it though.

Not to throw the thread track, but I've got to say that threads like this are great for newbies like me -- for two reasons...

The first is kind of obvious: a great opportunity to learn from the experiences -- both good and bad -- of others.

But the second may not be so obvious: knowing this kind of support, experienced insight, and generosity is offered by members of the community in times of trouble or mishap goes a long way toward giving a extra little boost of confidence to someone who is still a bit on the fence over whether or not to take the plunge and join the hobby.

Sorry to hear about the hiccup you've encountered Ben, thanks for posting about it though.

Thanks. Join the hobby!! It is awesome!!