Cooking rocks

John Ford

Mmmmmmmnm rocks

So I've hit a cross road. I mentioned getting out of the hobby to my wife. Told her all the reasons and she agreed, well until stuff started leaving in buckets. So I'm still going to break down my display but now instead of selling my live rock I'm considering either

A: place my live rock in a brute can with a heater and pump and give it total darkness for a few months while I figure things out. Do a few 100% water changes just to help leach out organics and such

B: Go all Duffman on it, give it an acid wash and throw it in a brute and reseed it for a few months.

I'm leaning towards B just to kill off the few ball anemones and Astrea stars but maybe a black out and a couple months of no food will starve most life anyways? But if I nuke it then I could pee on the rocks to jump start the cycle and one day get tank of the month..

Anyone have any thoughts or input?

I would go for B and a fresh start but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuke it, start fresh, pee on it, TOTM.

I started fresh, glad I did. No more pink and golds. You can always cycle it a few months before starting up again.

I dried mine out, scrubbed it clean, let is sit in water for a couple months with a c#*&$load of vinegar added to it. Very nice, clean rock with nothing on it to sting me or my corals!

10-4

Yeah they all have zoas that I'm slowly cutting up and I'm super paranoid about me, my boy, my wife and Dog. I've always scrubbed my work area when I'm done with Lysol wipes

As far as the rocks go I was reading up on instead of cleaning the rocks just letting them soak in freshwater tubs/brutes for a couple months. Any inverts would die off, any build up of organics would burn off, but the bacteria will survive in fresh or salt.

This would give me a chance to break my main down and figure out if I'm staying here or moving, painting the area where it's at now now, and keep the rock.

Anyone know much about the bio-filter being ok in freshwater? Seems legit but I'm far from a scientist..

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with all that. I think it would be easier to take the rock out, dry it, powerwash it, cook it, whatever, and then start fresh. I also think there is really something to the let it cycle and sit for 3 month approach. I went for a little over two months on my old 150, and I think it really made a big difference, but who knows for sure. Just my two cents.

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like a solid BOTM

-fingers crossed-

I may re-aquascape. I'm not digging the rocks on the back wall as much as I thought I would

(edited)

John muriatic acid is available at lowes and makes for easy work on cooking and cleaning the Rock. I just acid washed probably 20lbs of Rock and it took no time

Edited by Mattiejay6