Biggest local tank?

jam583

Just curious .. in terms of local (say within a 2 hr drive of DC) who has the largest tank? As my wife and I start thinking about a home addition, I'm thinking about a huge tank. Just looking to see a few residential systems (2,000 + gallons) in place.  I've seem tons of large commercial setups, but not as many large residential. Figured I would ask here. 

Copps in Leesburg. 1,300 gallon display and lots of auxilliary tanks, including separate systems making for a lot more water. A few of us affectionately refer to it as the Leesburg Aquarium. 

Is Copps the username of the person on this forum? 

Yes, you can see some of the SPS he sells at our meets, and he will be doing a talk at MACNA this year as well about his new system.

With the sad loss of the invert house and the NADC. The largest / most well known public reef tank in the area is at the Smithsonian Institute National Museum of National History. It is about 2,000 gallons. You can see it 7 days a week, and the Reef eScape team are kinda proud of it. :o)

There is some cool stuff going on at Amazonia House at The National Zoo, Big FW tanks and (while I have not see them yet) some coral tanks were in the works, last I checked.

There are lots 300-600 gallon range tanks in the area and we have several residential systems that we installed and/or maintain in the 600-1,500+ range both in offices and homes. 2,000+ residential tanks are not very common and those that are done are often in homes that are not very accessible or agreeable to hosting a public "tank tour."

Thanks for the input. I've seen the Smithsonian last year or so. I am looking for 2,000G ranges in residential homes. Interested in the guts (power, humidity control, etc.). I'm hoping to plan a large tank in our house as part of an addition in the coming years.

Copps has something like 3 systems and then QT for coral and fish, along with a growout tank for coral. He has to be between 2500g and 3000g+/-  of total water in his basement. All amazingly managed. Main tank is 1300g+/- anemone 250g+/- Angelfish tank 350g+/- QT for fish 300g +/-, coral growout 200g+/-, refugium, and live rock tanks 200+/-, and what ever else he has going on with skimmer tank, ATO, mixed water- 300g+/-.  He would be the Guru of the lead Guru when is comes to Angelfish and large coral systems IMO. I learned as much as I could when I saw his system about a year ago, great guy.