Shallow Rimless Reef Tank

thakki

Just wanted to check with you guys on best places to buy a shallow reef ready tank. I have seen glasscages.com and seems to have very good options...are there any other places where we can order such shallow tanks? I am looking for a tank with 48x18x16 dimensions. I have seen a tank build of one of the members where he built entire tank by himself and it was shallow...it looked great. I might not go with this option as I have no experience working with glass...its just a thought. 

Also, what do you guys suggest on the material of the tank...glass...acrylic or starphire? 

Deep blue 80 gallon is close to those dimensions. Make sure you measure 16" high, it's not very tall at all. I was looking at this route, but when mapped out with PVC I found it was to shallow for my liking.

Blue ribbion KOI has a deep BLUe 80 at the store if you want to look at one in person. Not sure if they are selling it or going to set it up for display. I went there last week and they had just got it. Still empty.

Edited by eddiev0008

I think the 80g is fantastic and actually wish I would have gone this route instead of the 75 (48x18x21). If you end up going with an 18" wide "reef ready" tank, know that the overflows take up a lot of internal volume. I wanted the convenience of the overflows but just couldnt get over how much space I was losing. 

Thanks for all the responses. Most of you seems to like Deep Blue 80 gallon tank.

Has anyone ordered tanks from glass cages.com? 

I think the 80g is fantastic and actually wish I would have gone this route instead of the 75 (48x18x21). If you end up going with an 18" wide "reef ready" tank, know that the overflows take up a lot of internal volume. I wanted the convenience of the overflows but just couldnt get over how much space I was losing. 

I have the same 75.  Great tank, but yeah, the overflow is huge.  If I had to do it over again I would've gone 220 ;)

I have the same 75.  Great tank, but yeah, the overflow is huge.  If I had to do it over again I would've gone 220 ;)

220 is huge...I am planning on putting it in my living room..and I dont think the main level will take that kind of load. 

Cant believe no one is commenting on glasscages.com...perhaps its not that famous...but it does have good options...can someone with good experience have a look at that website and provide me your feed back. Thanks.

Glass cages had a bad rep for a while. I heard they are better now. I have no personal experience,.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 93g rimless cube by glass cages tank. It is very solid build. The quality imo is great. 

Can you share pics? What are the dimensions? Did you buy the stand and sump too...they have lot of options right.

How about RedSea Reefer series and CAD Lights Artisan II. I know they are expensive…just wanted to get your opinion on them too.

I got a rimless from glass cages 36" 24" by 19" high. The tank looks great with extra bracing at the bottom inside. But they wrapped it with stretched plastic to hold it together after gluing and didn't use any spacers to keep the plastic off the silicone so now I have two smudge spots on each corner... :( other than that the seems look good. No bubbles or imperfections.

One thing I thought was weird was the glass on the sides doesn't sit on top of the bottom panel. They go down flush to the stand, maybe that's why its braced in the bottom. Basically an inside eurobrace on the bottom.

I think the bad reviews were from large tanks they built a while ago that would blow out seams. I haven't read any on smaller tanks.

(edited)

Thanks. Did you buy the entire setup like sump and stand...and the tank with starphire glass? The stand didn't look that good...but they recommend it since you are looking to buy the sump too from them.

Edited by thakki

Il

One thing I thought was weird was the glass on the sides doesn't sit on top of the bottom panel. They go down flush to the stand, maybe that's why its braced in the bottom. Basically an inside eurobrace on the bottom

My 180 was like that from miracles. And euro braced at the top.