Wading into the hobby

Mizerooskie

First, I just want to say kudos for creating such a friendly and informative forum community.  I’ve learned a TON just from lurking and reading.

I’m looking to get into the hobby and was hoping to get some feedback on my plan for putting together a tank.  This is a somewhat long-term project, as I’m looking to acquire the various supplies needed over the course of a year+ to make the costs a little easier to handle.

I’m interested in building a FOWLR tank of ~200 gallons (exact size depending on the footprint I can fit and afford when I’m ready to buy).  I’ve chosen to go the FOWLR route for several reasons: 

1. The cost is much more palatable than a reef tank
  2. It’s more appropriate for my experience level (nano freshwater planted tanks)
  3. (Most importantly) I love the fish I’ll be able to get in a FOWLR, particularly this guy that I met many times on my honeymoon in the Maldives

First, my equipment/supplies list (excluding fish care/maintenance supplies for now):

• Pre-drilled tank with stand
  • Sump + plumbing parts
  • Protein Skimmer (e.g. Reef Octopus Classic 150 Space Saver)
  • Return pump
  • Heater  x2 (e.g. Eheim Jager TruTemp 300 Watt Fully Submersible) and Thermometer
  • Lights
  • Powerhead(s) (e.g. Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump/Powerhead 1150 gph)
  • Live Rock
  • Sand substrate
  • Salt + refractometer
  • RO/DI system

A few questions that have popped up when researching the equipment:

-Am I missing anything major? Is anything I’ve listed redundant or not necessary?

-What are some thoughts on a pre-fab sump vs. DIY?  I definitely prefer the clean look of a pre-fab, but the price difference between the two is obviously significant.

-On lighting, I’m really unsure as to what I’ll need.  I’m definitely interested in LEDs due to the low power consumption, but the myriad options have me a bit lost.  Any help to offer in this area (examples, rules of thumb, etc.)?

-My preference would be to have as little equipment visible in the display tank as possible, so how manageable would a closed loop system be for this type of tank?

-Live rock from the online retailers seems exorbitant in price.  Is it any more affordable at LFSs (I’m willing to drive), or is there another source I should be watching?

-Are there any regular (seasonal, holiday, etc.) sales I should watch for online or at LFSs?

I think that’s enough to get me started.  I appreciate any feedback I can get and I’m sure I’ll have more questions to ask.

…And don’t worry, I’m sure you folks will convince me to go the reef route at some point.

Sounds like you have the bases covered.  

For a tank that big you might wait for a $1/gal sale and buy a 40g breeder from Petco.  Or just watch online here and someone will be selling one in the very near future, surely.

FOWLR lights can be nearly free with just a Sylvania ProStart T5 balast, couple reflectors, some end caps, and a couple bulbs.  You only need enough to see the fish.

Closed loop is fine but not necessary since you don't need extra current for corals.  I guess it would be nice to keep the detritus stirred up, but you'll be running water out over the overflow and will have a return for that already.  Just get a decent sized one and some nozzles pointed the right way and you'll get enough circulation to keep stuff in suspension.

Online live rock is expensive.  Local live rock will be cheaper, or you can do fun stuff if you have patience to get dry rock, build it all up into structures with PVC in the inside, get it all wet and let it cycle for a month or two, and you're good. 

Actually, with a little bit of patience, everything on your list will turn up here in the WTS section and you'll save a ton of money,

Welcome.

I know it's nothing expensive, but I'd think about a quarantine tank also.

Actually, with a little bit of patience, everything on your list will turn up here in the WTS section and you'll save a ton of money,

Having watched just over the past few days I've seen a lot and of course there is craigslist but that's more risky in my opinion.

Welcome! It looks like you are off to a great start!

Some considerations:

-Live rock frequently shows up for sale on the WAMAS boards for 1 to 2 dollars a pound or less. If you can afford to wait it out then a deal will come along. 

-With a tank that size you are going to want an auto top off system. I have a 220 and it loses about 3 gallons a day in the winter, less in the summer. It's a huge pain to top off that much by hand every day.

-Don't forget test kits!

I guess I'll be the first to say it...plan on getting (or at least be aware of) equipment that enables you upgrade to keeping coral too (appropriate lighting and stronger powerheads) because it's a natural progression once you have salt water fish then see what is available in coral. :). There is a chance you will end with some anyway if you get "live" live rock.

I don't know what your local water is like, but for a fish only system you might not need the RO/DI.  You might get a free water test from your county ag extension office.

dechlorinated tap water is fine for FOWLR. Big aggressive eaters are big aggressive poopers- get a bigger skimmer one that's rated for 50% larger than your tank.

dechlorinated tap water is fine for FOWLR. Big aggressive eaters are big aggressive poopers- get a bigger skimmer one that's rated for 50% larger than your tank.

I'm with Rob... Depending on where you are you're water is probably fine.. And get a skimmer rated higher than the 200g you are going to have.. Having 5 triggers and a few other big'ish fish in a 150g I was running an ASM G3x..

I don't see an auto-topoff system in your list. That'll make the hobby a lot more enjoyable.

Also, have a separate space set aside where you can mix new salt water and let it "age" for a day or so, so that it stabilizes.

An aquarium controller is  not an absolute necessity, but it's nice to have.

Finally, watch the Boards here. As people get out of the hobby or upgrade their systems, reasonably priced components become available, making it easier on your pocketbook. 

Thanks for all the help!

Wouldn't have even thought about the auto top-off system.  Very good to know.

It's going to be torture waiting to put this thing together.

Oh, here's another thing. I don't use them, but I know very good people that do. 

You may want to get an ammonia badge. It's actually called "Ammonia Alert" by SeaChem. At a glance, it'll alert you to rising ammonia levels and they're good for a year. 

p-900966-FS73068K-fish.jpg