New/Returning Member

Hello all,

I just wanted to say hello even though we have yet to get a new tank running my husband and I decided it was time we returned.  We were members for a year a few years ago and then after we moved homes and our tank crashed we fell out of the hobby.  Up to that time we had a 150 gallon tank we enjoyed for a couple of years and would have considered ourselves advanced beginner reefers starting to get into intermediate level.  We have decided on getting a Marineland deep dimensions 300 gallon tank and have begun getting everything together.  We have purchased what should be most of our plumbing supplies (I would say all, but it always seems a few extras are needed) and now just need to reinforce the floor (first floor tank and sump etc. will be in the basement) and we'll be ready for the tank.  I look forward to becoming an at least somewhat active member of the community(I'm very much an introvert, my husband is the extrovert) and getting back to that advanced beginner reefer stage and going beyond so that we can give back to the hobby that we so enjoy.

Lorna

Welcome back, look forward to a build thread! Great tank!

If your tank is up against a bearing wall and the floor joists run perpendicular to the long axis of the tank, you're OK on the floor.  Floors are rated for 40 lbs per square foot at the very middle of the beam, your tank will be up against the edge and your water only weighs 2,500 pounds.  That's a compact sedan when your room is rated for 3 Cadillacs.   I know you're going to reinforce your floor anyway because nobody ever believes me when I say that by code your floor joists hold 40 lbs/square foot.   So when you go to reinforce your floor anyway, turn your floor joists into T-beams by glueing a 2x6 on the bottom chord of your joists.  I'm assuming your basement is unfinished, otherwise you'll have to take off some sheetrock.

Welcome back.  I've kept large tanks since 1984 and every time one melted down I got so depressed that I quit the hobby for a few years.  But I always came back with a bigger and badder system.  Good to see that I am not alone.

Thank you for the input Dave.  I don't believe that it is a matter of noone trusting you to know your facts, I think it is people being nervous nellies about the concept that a sedan is sitting in our living rooms but is made of water.  Though you are likely correct, we may just still reinforce a bit.

Thank you again!