fuge light recommendations?

Fritz0id3937

I have a 20 gal sump with fuge middle section. My cheap 3w led light from China is not cutting it, won't even grow keyna tree. Anyone have recommendations for a good light that will grow cheato and left over Xenia and keyna I toss down there? Pref a small foot print with goose neck and less than $50 or so. Would a cfl from home depot work? I can't justify $200+ fancey red LEDs for my tiny fuge. Thanks

Now spectrum of the CFL is where I think it gets hazy. I tried a 6500k bulb (100w equivalent) and a 2700k (100w equivalent) and had better growth with the lower spectrum bulb. I have heard others say the exact opposite of what I have.

Now spectrum of the CFL is where I think it gets hazy. I tried a 6500k bulb (100w equivalent) and a 2700k (100w equivalent) and had better growth with the lower spectrum bulb. I have heard others say the exact opposite of what I have.

Use whatever grows the macro fastest for you. If it's 2700K, then go with that.  The goal is to take up nutrients and export them. The growth of the macro takes up the nutrients and your harvesting the macro and taking it out of the system serves to export the trapped nutrients. Some papers that I've seen indicate that the rate of photosynthesis peaks in the red (~675nm wavelength) and blue (~450nm) ranges. So it's not surprising that a 2700K lamp did well for you. 

I ran a CFL in a cheap clip on housing for a really long time. It worked just fine.

Chlorophyll_ab_spectra2.PNG

Given this, I think what we need is an LED array with blue and red LEDs to grow macro at its fastest! I may have to give that a try sometime.

I have a 20 gal sump with fuge middle section. My cheap 3w led light from China is not cutting it, won't even grow keyna tree. Anyone have recommendations for a good light that will grow cheato and left over Xenia and keyna I toss down there? Pref a small foot print with goose neck and less than $50 or so. Would a cfl from home depot work? I can't justify $200+ fancey red LEDs for my tiny fuge. Thanks

I've had good results with 6500k (maybe they were 6700, cant remember off the top of my head) CFLs but am thinking about trying the Reef Breeders "fuge" light this time (mostly 660s with some blues). I'd prefer to find something in a sleeker, narrow panel form factor for the clean look. 

With that said, getting coral and macro algae to grow well together probably isnt realistic in a small space since they both prefer light in very different spectrums. 

Edited by madweazl

I have a 20 gal high fuge/nano that gravity feeds the main system and am using an old power compact that works ok but getting tired of changing the bulbs.  Never used LED pretty much still old school MH but thought this might be a good baby step to try LED.  Thinking about a 15" reefbrite or a aqua mini MicMol Nano (Premium Aquatics on sale).  Have to admit I didn't follow all the technical discussion on color but would you want a different light with a fuge to grow cheato vs. a Nano that could support some corals or could one of these work for both?

• 3 weeks later...

Update - I added a 65w equivalent daylight (5000k) r30 cfl flood light with $8 metal clip reflector to light my fuge, and still has the cheap 3w LEDs which have some blues. Now instead of watching my cheato slowly wither away, it is growing like a champ. And the bits of keyna tree that I've banished to sump seem to be happy as well. I'll have to try Xenia soon. So I am very happy with this cfl light, total cost with reflector was under $20 at home depot. At this rate, I will have to harvest some cheato in a few weeks for the first time ever. Nirates are zero (or undetectable) and I am over due for a water change, its been over a month since the last one.

I bought this light for my fuge..

FC19-P3865  TCP 2P3819-65 - 19 Watt - PAR38 CFL - 85 W Equal - 6500K Full Spectrum Daylight - Min. Start Temp. - 20 Deg. - 82 CRI - 50 Lumens per Watt - 15 Month Warranty 

for 11bucks at 1000blubs.com

Richie