Eheim return pumps

NovaReefer

So i am looking for thoughts on a return pump for my 90g. I am looking between the Eheim Compact +3000 and the Eheim 1262. Head wise from the sump to the top of the return we are right around 5ft. Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

My Mag was very very loud so I returned it.  Got the eheim compact and like it a lot.  It is for a 60 gallon tank with a sump around 20 gallons.  

Have used a 1262 for 8 years on my 90.  Very dependable and quiet. Only downside is that the replacement impellers are crazy expensive.

Divide the cost of a impeller by 8. In addition my Eheim is older than my 21 year old son.

Ehiems are extremely reliable but I had a mag on my skimmer for 10 years and never touched it (externally mounted). It was very quiet as are most Mags. Cant go wrong with either. I'm in the same boat right now and am having a tough time deciding which one to use. 

Both mag and eheim use a lot of power. sicce pump are very reliable too and not too expensive. Just another thought.

The Sicce Syncra 4.0 (rough equivalent to the 1262) uses more power than the Eheim. The Eheim is also cheaper...

I have a 1262 for my 125 but for my new 120 build I went with a Jabeo DC-6000. I really like the Jabeo and the soft-start and abililty to throttle it, even though I run it full blast. I'd look to DC pumps if I was buying again.

Ok who has been in this hobby prior to 1982. I love my DC return pumps as well. Energy consumption vs a tank full of rare Acros and fish belly up. Just my. 02

A little late, but I have owned both, Mag 9's on my last reef, one for return, one for PS (life reef), they were loud, ran hot, and seemed to need cleaning often, replaced one impeller over the years.   I never needed heaters in the tank (120g), two mag 9's and MH's kept the temps above 75 all year round.  I bought it in 2004, gave the return mag9 to a friend, she still uses it, 11 years later, it's def reliable. 

For my 60g I went with the 1262, I'm a fan of all things Eheim, quiet, easy to clean, it's been running since this tank got wet, Aug 2013.  I think the big deal to me is it's quiet.  Here's to hoping it's as reliable as the Mag's have been. 

• 2 weeks later...

So i am looking for thoughts on a return pump for my 90g. I am looking between the Eheim Compact +3000 and the Eheim 1262. Head wise from the sump to the top of the return we are right around 5ft. Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

I went for the Compact +5000 on my 93-gallon (probably ~4ft head), with the knowledge that I'd probably need to dial it back a bit. (The Compact + pumps have an adjustment valve for the output.) I figured that I'd rather have a little power to spare than regret not having a little more.

No regrets. And, in fact, I've got it running at nearly full blast.

I found myself with an extra 1260 and have it listed for sale.

I had trouble with the sand bed blowing around from a 1262 and went with the 1260.  The thing you have to look when comparing the eheim to others is the flow at head pressure.  All the eheims seem to do better with a typical head pressure than the competition with the same zero head rating.  I've run them against pumps rated for higher flow and found that the eheim out performed.  

Ok who has been in this hobby prior to 1982. I love my DC return pumps as well. Energy consumption vs a tank full of rare Acros and fish belly up. Just my. 02

Me.......not consistently but I have a pic of my 1979-84 tank with nems in it. I have a Sonny Jurgensen Natural Light beer add from 81' on the wall and an April 1983 stamp on the back of the 3.5" x 3.5" picture with rounded corners.....remember those! :laugh:

Both Mag and Eheim are good, have them both, Eheim are quieter.

Dang, you're old! I started around '96.

H is actually older...just to let you know,I am not an old man like him :cool: