What size plywood?

madweazl

I'm planning on going with an acrylic tank and need to top an open stand to support it. How thick should the plywood be and should I use a specific type? The area to be covered is 48 13/16" x 18 7/8". It be up to 1 1/2" thick. 

20150221_160255_zps0x6n0naf.jpg

Bummer that it isnt 48 inches because then you could get away with buying less than a 4x8 sheet.

If it was me I would get a sheet of 3/4, cut two rectanges the correct size, glue and screw them together to make a 1.5in glue sandwich, if you need that thick, and trim around the edges.

If your going to add some bracing then it doesn't really need to be that thick, 3/4" should be fine possibly even thinner but for the cost difference you may as well get it a little thicker, I ran into the same issue on my tank and braced the underside with 2x3's and 3/4" plywood, I have a glass tank so it wasn't really necessary but it made me feel better so it was worth it.

Bummer that it isnt 48 inches because then you could get away with buying less than a 4x8 sheet.

If it was me I would get a sheet of 3/4, cut two rectanges the correct size, glue and screw them together to make a 1.5in glue sandwich, if you need that thick, and trim around the edges.

+1

I would then seal it so no water can get in.

Quick question: If you run into an issue where you have to remove the sump from the cabinet, will you be able to do so when the tank is on top? It sort of looks like it might have gone in through the top but not make it out of the front doors if you ran into a problem where you needed to take it out. The only reason I ask is that I ran into a similar issue with my first large tank many years ago. In that case, I was able to get the sump out, but it was very difficult to do so. Had it been an inch larger, it would have been stuck until I took the main tank down.

Not planning on installing any bracing. Based on what I've read so far, 3/4" seems to be plenty strong enough. 

I'm sure it is, bracing would just allow you to use multiple pieces that's all I meant