Reef octopus HOB bh100

edress714

Ok so this has been working fine until I made the switch. Worked fine for a day but now it overflows on both sides. skimming side and the return to tank side. Any reason for this??? Thanks again everyone

I can't figure this out. Its taking in too much water. The bubbles is leaking over to the output side through the little hole. I moved this from my 55 to my 75 gallon. Any ideas anyone? the pump is inside the tank. Please help! 3 days now with no protein skimmer!

Mine does that also sometimes. Put a piece of filter material between the hole and the output elbow and it will diffuse and keep the micro bubbles from getting to and going into the output elbow. 

Mine does that also sometimes. Put a piece of filter material between the hole and the output elbow and it will diffuse and keep the micro bubbles from getting to and going into the output elbow.

But what about the intake taking too much water? Is that cuz it's in a 75 gallon now? Like without the skimmer cup the white fuzz almost reaches the top

Did you try raising the collection cup? Is the skimmer level? It shouldn't matter that the tank is bigger. Is it pulling anything out of the water that is causing it to want to overflow? For example did you dose something?

Post some pics or video. Sound like something clogged up. Maybe outlet is not fully opened to allow flow out as fast as flow input or your air intake is clogged. Take it apart and clean it.

Post some pics or video. Sound like something clogged up. Maybe outlet is not fully opened to allow flow out as fast as flow input or your air intake is clogged. Take it apart and clean it.

How do I post a video? I cleaned it 2 days ago. No clogs.

How do I post a video? I cleaned it 2 days ago. No clogs.

Load your video on you tube and post the url here!

Remove the pump and intake tube. Use a tooth pick and clear out the air hole by the pump. Lots of time, salt deposit clogged in there. Also, the air intake silincer can be take apart and you should see 2 air holes. Make sure they are not clogged.

Picture/video would be helpful to see what exactly is going on. I used to have that skimmer but it's been a while. I remember the rubber ring around the cup needed to seal and there was a set screw holding the cup in place.

But what about the intake taking too much water? Is that cuz it's in a 75 gallon now? Like without the skimmer cup the white fuzz almost reaches the top

It is my experience with that skimmer that if you are intaking too much water your venturi is clogged. Or the pump has been changed out and is to large for the skimmer. If I recall correctly, that skimmer uses a pump that flows 1000 lph. Mine was the old style OTC 1000. If your pump is correct, pull your pump and clean the venturi hole and put it back together. Note that the skimmer is not sold with an airflow restrictor and designed not to use one. You cannot restrict the airflow to the skimmer or you will have issues getting it dialed in or working properly.

Also, the water volume of your system has nothing to do with the mechanics of the skimmer. The skimmer may not be able to pull skim as efficiency as a larger unit but that is where sizing of a skimmer comes into play.

I use the BH1000, When the collection cup doesn't cover the small hole in the side of the acrylic tons of bubbles get dumped into your display. It really shouldn't be flooding if it's covered. Have you tried raising the skimmer's position in the tank to reduce pressure on the return? Just a thought.

That hole is covered but it's making so much bubbles on the intake all those excess bubbles goes through the trail into the exit pipe which has all this bubbles. How can I raise it? It rests on the pipes

Have you put epoxy in there since you started having the issue. Maybe oils from your hand and arm or something that could be causingbthe skimmer to go nuts?

Hows the tank looking since your nem died?

That hole is covered but it's making so much bubbles on the intake all those excess bubbles goes through the trail into the exit pipe which has all this bubbles. How can I raise it? It rests on the pipes

You can raise it by by putting something between the pipes and the rim. 

It looks like the BH100 and 1000 are different in how the bubbles are channeled, so I can't offer any advice there. It does however look like yours is putting out the same amount of bubbles as mine.

Have you tried calling their customer support.  the american distributor is coralvue.
here is their number for reef octopus 985-718-1466

Thanks everyone who responded. It looks like monkiboy knows his stuff. the skimmer was cleaned and just needed to be broken in again. took half a day for this to happen. I just let it run and kept emptying the collection cup since it was collecting pretty quick. but the water is getting darker and darker and collecting slower. should be back to normal when I get home! who would of thought! thanks again wamas