Hammer coral Placement

Keraxis

I have had my hammer for a few months now and even though it is healthy its not really growing new heads.  It just keeps getting bigger.  It is on my sand bed but about 12 inches from my mp10.  Could this be a result of to much flow.  

They don't like a lot of flow but if it's getting bigger it's doing great and don't move it. I didn't think mine were growing much until I looked at old pics of the tank. I put my LPS towards the back of the tank where there isn't as much flow and keep my SPS up front where PH are

I was just wondering because It had 9 heads when I got it and it still has 9 heads.  It went from alittle bigger then a baseball to a softball but still 9 heads.  I am going to have to frag it so it doesn't kill things around it.  It already killed a favia.  

I was just wondering because It had 9 heads when I got it and it still has 9 heads. It went from alittle bigger then a baseball to a softball but still 9 heads. I am going to have to frag it so it doesn't kill things around it. It already killed a favia.

How fast did you want the heads to grow?

How fast did you want the heads to grow?

It doesn't matter how fast.  I just was worried that it hadn't grown one since Ive owned it (6 months or so).  It was more a question to figure out if I should move it or not to make it happy.

I've had a single head for over a year. Hasn't grown at all

I've had a single head for over a year. Hasn't grown at all

interesting... guess my hammer isnt the only weird one.  I have a frogspawn that has grown 5x its original size in less time then ive owned the hammer.  

I have tons of frogspawn, some grow more than others,  some don't seem to grow at all. I think like Gmerk said you have to look at old pics to see how much they have grown. 

The heads do get bigger and bigger but eventually do split. Are you sure it's not a wall hammer? I saw a forced split of branching frogspawn with a razor blade on YouTube. I haven't cared enough to try it yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The heads do get bigger and bigger but eventually do split. Are you sure it's not a wall hammer? I saw a forced split of branching frogspawn with a razor blade on YouTube. I haven't cared enough to try it yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

not a wall hammer.  its actually on my avatar picture.  wall hammers look like a block at the base.  this definitely has distinct heads but their very chunky. Its a bi color Australian variant.

• 1 month later...

I've had my hammer for about a year and it has grown 5 new heads, but they are all very small and grow at an extraordinarly slow rate. My hammer won't grow in anything but a low flow almost like a breeze on the top.

I moved it about a foot farther away from my powerhead.  its color improved and it seems much happier.  Thanks for all the help.